1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News outs Bin Laden raid author

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That sure didn't take long.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/23/author-bin-laden-raid-insider-account-idd-could-face-legal-trouble/

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Illiberal media!

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have lots of thoughts but refuse to comment on what I would view as a cheaply veiled attempt to start a political thread.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Good point boom. Forgot where I was for a second.

5. Dick Whitman

Nah. There's a reason I posted this on the journalism board. I think the question is journalistic, not political: Do you endanger someone by outing them? My answer is probably, in these circumstances, absolutely you do.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The guy is writing a book, right? For profit? He's kind of volunteering not to be protected.

You could make a similar argument that nobody should have told where Henry Hill was after Goodfellas came out.

7. Dick Whitman

Yeah, that's how I see it, too.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Contra: since when are authors not allowed to use a pseudonym?

9. Giggity

Giggity Member

So they out that guy, then, three sentences later, they go with:

One Navy SEAL told Fox News, "How do we tell our guys to stay quiet when this guy won't?" Other SEALs are expressing anger, with some going so far as to call him a "traitor."

10. Dick Whitman

They're allowed to. And, when the name of the author is newsworthy, the news media is ethically within its rights, if not obligated, to pursue said author's name and background.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In the end it's political. It would be a really interesting topic to discuss but again way too political.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Where's the incongruity?

Draft saved Draft deleted