1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News now in full-spin mode...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It's been hard to come up with good news lately.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

FOX reports on good news?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I swear you guys are bizarre. If I read that link correctly, 1.38 million people are watching Fox news primetime. Out of a country of 300 million. Thats 1.38 people of every 300 in this country. If they lost half their viewers or gained 3x their viewers, its still barely a pimple on a gnats' ass.

Nobody watches that crap, yet around here, these dopey cable news talk shows are treated like they are the pacesetters for this country.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

Double true.

6. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

As somebody said the other day, the only people who watch that channel are people over 70 and people with IQs under 70.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've never understood why people get so worked up about the "battle" between FNC, CNN, MSNBC and the rest. If you add up their combined ratings and throw in all the other newsish channels - CNBC, CSPAN, Headline News, etc. - the number is still a fraction of what Nickelodeon gets at any given time.

NO ONE is watching these networks.

8. Freelance Hack

True, but this is a network that boasts that it's viewers are mainstream America. Apparently, mainstream America is tuning out and turning off.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Every market is but a fraction of the total. The reason the numbers matter is that the people who want to sell things to news-watchers need to know where to go.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We all understand advertising and target demographics. The reason for my post is that these dopey news talk networks are treated around here as a barometer for the country (IMO) when pretty much nothing can be further from the truth. When Rush, Olbermann, Grace, Anderson Cooper, Bill O'Reilly or any of these other dopes burp, it's treated as a big thing around here. While in the big picture, nobody is following these clowns, except pretty much shut-ins or my parents.

11. Freelance Hack

When Anderson Cooper burps, its because he just swallowed.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

What you say is true, Poin, except that when these are the only voices we hear from TV, they're treated as ... well, maybe not gospel ... but we pay more attention to their numbers, what they say, etc. I certainly don't think O'Reilly speaks for a majority of Americans, but when he's the one I hear over the others, he's the one I target over the others.

Draft saved Draft deleted