1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News does it again . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BTExpress, Jan 12, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

I have to remember that one.

2. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Distort? He stole and then destroyed classified documents. If anything, Foxnews went easy on him by calling him a mere burglar.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Goddammit, NO HE DID NOT.

He stole COPIES of classified documents.

The actual documents still exist in the archives and never left the building.

That's why it's a misdemeanor.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A16706-2005Mar31.html

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wrong again, Sanchez. You take lessons from Yawn?

5. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

I stand corrected. In this case I guess the burglar title fits. Bravo Foxnews for getting it right!

burglar
    Function: noun
    Def
    inition: a thief who enters a building with intent to steal

6. What did he steal?

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So I suppose if CNN ran "PEDOPHILE" under Mark Foley's name instead of the journalistically neutral "R-Fla." you would applaud them for "getting it right." ?

Yeah, sure.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I know it's a pretty serious f'up ... if it's an f'up.

But it's funny as hell.

9. I think the socks make it hilarious.

10. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

State secrets. The fact, is we'll never know fully what he took (including if originals were removed since he did have access to original documents for which individual pages were not logged) or who saw them after he took the documents (whether they were originals or not, that compromises national security). The fact that he did this on at least 4 separate occasions means that the "I did it by accident" card won't play here. Which leads to the question, why did he do this? Either a.) he doesn't think that classified document laws apply to him or b.) he was looking for something he felt was so important that he would violate those laws. You choose which you want to believe. You know and I know, that if he wasn't a former high level official, the punishment would have been much more severe and if Condi Rice pulls this crap in 5 years, you'll be the first one calling for treason charges (and I'll argue for something less than that but more severe than the slap on the wrist that Berger received).

11. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Nice try. Apples and pears as my father would say. Foley has never been convicted of child molestation. If he ever is, then that label will be accurate on a news report. Berger on the other hand, as part of his GUILTY plea, ADMITTED to removing and destroying classified documents. If I went into your desk, and photocopied your notebook, what would you call that? I would call it stealing and depending on the ruse I used to access your desk, burglary. Sure I left the notebook, but the physical book is not as important as the content. Will I get at least one of you guys to admit that that was wrong?

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Always glad to help, F_B.

Draft saved Draft deleted