1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News and the White House rapper "controversy"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, May 17, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The rapper Common, who has written songs about two convicted murderers who he believes were unjustly convicted, was invited to a White House poetry reading last week.

Bill O'Reilly and Fox News go nutso about it.

Jon Stewart says: "Um, dude, Bono and Dylan both wrote songs about convicted killers who they felt were railroaded, too. Where were you then?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thecutline/20110517/ts_yblog_thecutline/boo-yah-stewart-takes-on-oreilly-over-fox-news-selective-outrage-machine

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Common has written stuff a lot more controversial than songs about two convicted murderers.

The whole thing is stupid, but the comparison of Common to Bono or Bob Dylan is a bad one.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

And why is that?

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Birth certificate released, prince and princess wed, bin Laden dead ... Fox needs something to do, dammit!

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Whereas Dylan was pretty much bubble gum pop in his day.

6. Mizzougrad96

Is that what I said?

7. Mizzougrad96

I don't care for a second that Common was invited to the White House. I don't care if they invite Lou Reed to play "Heroin", Eric Clapton to play "Cocaine" or Body Count to play "Cop Killer".

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

That's fine, I'm not attacking you. I'm just curious why you feel Stewart's comparison to Bono and Dylan is a bad one. Common is about as positive as a figure as there is in hip hop, and as Stewart pointed out, the song about the cop killer where he expresses frustration actually ends with (paraphrase) "No, I won't do that. Got to keep it positive instead."

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Heck, in the Clinton White House, Fuck Like a Beast was a leitmotif

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Stewart's segment on this last week, which he ended in a rap about Fox News was amazing.

11. Mizzougrad96

I just think comparing "Letter to the Law" is a little more controversial than "Hurricane" or "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or whatever U2 song Stewart was referencing.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of a Dylan or a U2 lyric that rivals "tell the law my uzi weighs a ton."

I like Common. I watched him on Sesame Street. I think the controversy is idiotic. It's not like he invited Chris Brown.

12. Mizzougrad96

Stewart and O'Reilly on camera together, it doesn't matter which show, is always Must-See TV.

And I don't care what anyone says, those two men like each other... Probably a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted