1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FOX Network Fighting with Time Warner Cable for Subscriber Fees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 28, 2009.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm starting to come around on the a la carte thing. I have DirecTV. I have to get the entire sports package just to get Fox Soccer Channel and Gol TV. That's like 60 channels of regional Fox channels where anything I might care about is blacked out. I also have to get a really high programming tier just to get Speed. I suspect it would save me at least $20 a month if they went to a la carte.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's tough to root for either side. TWC has its customers because customers want local channels, which TWC provides without having to have an antenna on your roof. I can't get a digital signal OTA at my house.

The local affiliates need the viewers to justify ad rates. But since viewership is getting smaller and smaller for the networks, they are trying to stem losses.

It stinks because no pay TV provider offers everything. My local cable system stinks, Dish Network doesn't offer all of the channels I watch and DirecTV is missing a few channels I like as well. The era of being to watch everything was supposed to be here by now, like flying cars and video phones everywhere.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

It is tough to root for either side. I guess my main point would be that in most cities, each local affiliate (NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox and the CW) has far more viewership than any one cable station in town. There are some exceptions for the CW in some cities, but for the most part, people still watch the local stations much more than the ESPN's or TNT's of the world. To frame it better, people buy a cable subscription and continue to watch their local stations more than anything else the cable provider offers. So, the affiliates want to get paid like every other cable station. Plus, even if you have the most basic cable package, the cable company charges you for access to the local affiliates. It's a separate charge. I'm not saying it's all fair and wonderful. But I understand why the networks and affiliates are fighting for this money.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Score one for living in Cleveland! Our local Fox channel isn't really a Fox channel. It is an independent channel which buys the Fox shows, or something like that. Whatever the case, when all the rest of you get fucked, we in Cleveland will still be able to watch all the stupid Fox shows.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Wait until Fox asks your affiliate for money instead of the other way around.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Well, the stupid Fox shows also include the NFL, BCS games (this year), NASCAR, and MLB. It's going to suck for a lot of people if this doesn't get resolved.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Move to Cleveland, we need the people!

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

In Florida, legal action is being taken to ensure that Little Baby Tebow's final game for the Gators can be seen by Bright House/Time Warner customers.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bhn-fox-questions-123109-20091230,0,4994379.story

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The game won't be on. I'll put down a Washington on that bet.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

My life was just fine before I ever heard of Fox and it'll be the same if it goes away.

See ya. I won't miss you. If this means I miss the Sugar Bowl and the MLB playoffs I don't watch anyhow, so be it.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well, my Fox networks are still on.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Mine too. Honestly, I could've lived without it. I'll just buy the last few episodes of Nip/Tuck off iTunes.

Draft saved Draft deleted