1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox fires Lyons for insensitive remark

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Nathan Scott Phillips, Oct 14, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

All we need is Joe Morgan and Tim McCarver to say something ethnically insensitive and national baseball broadcasts will once again be tolerable.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

We always talk about hitting off a minor problem before it becomes a major one. This is one of those situations, IMO. If they wouldn't have fired him now, it could have gotten worse and worse. Then we all would have been saying, "They should have fired him when...."

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

You mean the guy who, when he worked for the Dodgers he gushed to the audience and fellow Dodgers announcer Charlie Steiner how Joe Buck was the best announcer in baseball right now? Steiner had to mention that Dodgers legendary announcer Vin Scully, sitting in the next booth over, was still pretty good too.

What a moron.

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, I think Brennaman was the one who made the jokes about the blind fan in the stands. (He later apologized profusely for it.)

That said, I'm willing to bet Lyons' firing was for an abundance of silly remarks, and for some statements that were simply flat-out wrong. I'm not sure why he was ever hired for that job anyway. He just isn't (wasn't) very good.

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

He wasn't any good.

But that sure was a phantom straw that broke the camel's back.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I find it amusing that Fox could be offended by anything. The network known for "When Animals Eats Their Own," "Marry Your Sister" and Fox News is much more offensive than anything Lyons said.
    Also, does anyone know if this means Lyons will be off the Dodgers broadcasts next year as well.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I wonder if the Dodgers will find a way to quietly (or as quietly as possible in the L.A. market) move forward without him.

Draft saved Draft deleted