1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox College Football Saturday studio show - your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 9, 2012.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As one in the broadcast end of it, I think it is very difficult for female studio hosts to strike the proper balance -- to be authoritative but also the need to be deferential to their in-studio commentators. Hannah Storm and Linda Cohn are the two that I think are, clearly, at the top of the game on this. They can play traffic cop, lead the conversation, deke in a solid quip and let their "expert" also shine. It really is a "performing art" of sorts.

For whatever reason, humor does not seem to flow as easily from the binders full of female sportscasters I have worked with in the long time I've been doing this. They can be hilarious off-air but, the second they are on-camera, it's like they just want to play it straight. Almost like they take themselves too seriously to prove that they belong. It is a struggle I know so many female sportscasters have to deal with -- the assumption that they don't know what they're talking about.

Of course it could just be that most women aren't very funny.

2. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

I like Harrington and George as analysts, which doesn't surprise me, having dealt with them as NFL players. Andrews is getting better, but she looked more comfortable in the San Francisco monsoon than she does behind an anchor desk.

3. turski7

turski7 Member

I agree. At times Andrews is lost, looking at her notes way too much. She has improved over the course of the season, but her strength in on the sideline for sure. It's a tough gig for sure.
    Harrington and George are solid in their analysis and compliment each other well.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Sitting in a newsroom with 8 different games on plus the Andrews/George/Joey pregame show. Just want to make sure I have this right: Andrews didn't like all of the creeper attention she got in the hotel room but she has no issue with "camel toe" tights. Not jeans. Tights?

Yesterday, she was at Washington-Washington State. A game she would have never covered at ESPN. Lesson: Bolt ESPN at your own peril.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And shuttling between the studio and the World Series ... or covering the All-Star Game ... not that Fox would exploit hot female talent ... of course not.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Maybe it's because they continue to have to deal with condescending crap like this from people they work with.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Not to mention she was added as a second sideline person for Cowboys/Redskins on Thanksgiving

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Something lacking in Fox College Football coverage overall.

If Fox wanted a top notch female studio host for college football they should have hired Wendy Nix.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm surprised they don't send her out there topless.

Draft saved Draft deleted