1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox College Football Saturday studio show - your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 9, 2012.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It is really a work in progress, to be charitable. Harrington and Eddie George are pretty good. Erin Andrews does the heavy lifting, and her inexperience shows. When discussing the Tulane player's injury, she sent it to video of the Tulane "Athletic Doctor"... I guess that is technically a correct term, but super awkward. And at times she slouches at the desk like an eighth grader in math class.

The studio cut in for an update highlight of the Arkansas game; Louisiana Monroe scored a td, but I swear, they never gave a score.

And man, do they love hashtags...AND MORE HASTAGS....tweet them! And vote for the play of the week!!! and more hashtags! It just seems so pandering, and trendy.

On the plus side, the set looks good.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd say they need some older coach type. Too bad Les Miles is busy, he'd be great. The next Lou Holtz/Corso is out there and Fox better find him before ESPN does.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I thought it was OK ... although they made quite a few errors (calling Sacramento State's kick the "game-winning touchdown," for instance), Andrews, George and Harrington are fresh faces and made a few interesting observations.

Or maybe I'm just sick of Jesse Palmer.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You rang?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

John L. Smith should be available soon.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

With as straight-laced and monotone as all the current coaches are, is there another Corso or Holtz out there to be the kooky, grandfatherly announcer? I mean OTHER than Les Miles?

7. turski7

turski7 Member

I was thinking of posting this, but Poin beat me to it. Don't know if they need to find some blowhard ex-coach, just some time to get there feet under them. Andrews has been decent and looks like she could end up being a solid studio host. I like Harrington and George and think those two will only get better as the season wears on.
    There are some issues for sure and they need to ease on the hashtags (Christ, it's like hashtags are crack to those people).
    I think the show is on the right track though, they have a good set and a pair of fresh analysts who are not Jesse Palmer, Lou Holtz or Lee Corso.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, Glen Mason has been pretty good the few times I've seen him on the Big 10 Network.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, Mason is pretty good. I'd give Bobby Bowden a try-out.

Erin Andrews is better as a sideline reporter than a studio host.

10. Steak Snabler

Bowden's 82 years old. Not sure he's cut out for a full-time gig anymore.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

He can mumble one day a week.

12. Steak Snabler

If you want to be more than halfway worth a damn as a studio analyst, it requires a lot more than one day a week of work and preparation.

Draft saved Draft deleted