1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fourth? Third? Does it matter?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Central-KY-Kid, Nov 4, 2018.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Been turns in strong finish at state meet" would have been perfectly fine and mistake-proof. But as others said, mistakes happen. Mixing up third/fourth is far better than saying she won when she didn't or vice versa.

Hermes likes this.
  2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

This is more the sign of the decline.

* Misspelled Louisville (left off first I) when Lamar Jackson won Heisman. On sports front. In 60-point.
    * Cloned a receiver in a stat box (listed player twice with different totals)
    * Had to retweet all placings from State CC because the writer got overall place and team points confused
    * Changed the spelling of a local school midway through the results
    * Changed to format midway through results
    * Left off runners from Local School A who finished in the 100s but included runners from School B who finished 200+
    * Got the name of the All-State soccer team wrong
    * Moved a school to Louisville from a neighboring county
    * Misspelled the name of a region school twice in a three-week span
    * Listed a cross country race at 9:30 p.m. and had a marching band competing at State at 2:15 a.m.
    * Misspelled Dickens as in Charles Dickens (left off the s)
    * Misspelled Mary (Marry) Poppins
    * Misspelled Breeders' Cup (had apostrophe in story, but not in headline)
    * Misspelled a school's name twice in a three-line span in weekly predictions
    * Had stats in football stat box not match stats listed in story
    * Got the name of a person running for city council wrong (listed his brother's first name) AND then wrote that person had dropped out of the race in a later story (he had NOT)
    * Wrote that a hotel under construction would be the tallest in the city WHEN the paper already had an article about a different hotel which had just opened (and was just as tall story wise and slightly taller overall due to a tower)
    * Misspelled Region (Regoin) every day on the daily schedule during tennis postseason
    * Had a cutline of a player catching a pass when he was clearly running with the ball
    * Created a school by combining two schools' names
    * Created a region (should have said 17th District and not 17th Region ... Kentucky has 16 regions max)

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Still better than this:
    [​IMG]

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Or this:
    [​IMG]

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Jellied Kid, everybody knows there's no "I" in "Lulvull."

Central-KY-Kid likes this.
  6. Central-KY-Kid

After the synagogue shootings, my former fish wrap had:
    "Pittsburgh begins burying its dead"

(Not sure what Pittsburgh was doing with its dead before, but there must of been thousands of bodies lying around)

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Is that from the Globe?

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Definitely sloppy, but I’m not sure I understand the reasoning behind keeping a list that gets as detailed as “had to fix something on Twitter,” “confused ‘region’ with ‘divison,’” and “reversed a.m./p.m.” Did anyone show up for the 2 a.m. band contest or did people realize the error there?

Seems like a lot of sloppy copy editing but most of these seem like extremely average mistakes. I’d be stunned if anyone who spent any significant time in the industry hadn’t generated a similar list by themselves, especially early in a career.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If only the E-Town News-Enterprise covered the UAB Football Team rebirth, we'd have a perfect storm of niche threads on SJ.

10. Central-KY-Kid

None of the sloppy editing/errors are by people early in their careers.

Sports ed in his 40s and has been the sports ed for at least a decade. Sports Writer has more than 20 years of experience and won a bunch of awards in West Virginia and Ohio. News team leader was the sports editor before the current sports ed. Editor was a former sports writer at the paper.

They're not void of experience or institutional knowledge.

These are errors that @KYSportsWriter would never, ever let through. He kept us from looking stupid. And I would usually catch his few misses.

This was once a good paper.

I'm not sure it ever will be again (or that it will even survive past 2020). Gutted four newsroom positions (including both photographers) in 2018, merged sports section inside news (except for Sundays), lost a $120,000 government printing contract (the former Inside The Turret weekly paper serving Fort Knox) and is down to less than 8,000 paid subscribers when it was over 20K when KY and I got our starts there.

And this is NOT a poor community by any means. That paper never paid me more than $10.80 an hour and I lived comfortably.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The Pratt Tribune.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Look in the stands at a Steelers game and you can see a good many of them.

Hermes and Central-KY-Kid like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted