1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four zeros for me? Yeah, that seems about right. ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mike311gd, Jan 29, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Pardon me while I take up some more space. …

I just want to say thanks to everyone for making me feel more than welcome around these parts. It took me a while, but, as you can probably see, I’ve been able to open up to you fine folks, and I couldn’t be happier because of it.

An old editor of mine at my second job took me aside one day when I was looking for a third. He said, “Go to SportsJournalists.com. It’s a great site.”

Now, 20 months later, I can’t seem to step away from this Web site. And I wouldn’t change a thing.

I was extremely intimidated when I first viewed the boards. I saw people with 1,000 and 2,000 posts and 10,000 and 15,000 and 20,000 posts and thought, “Shit, these guys must really know the business.” (Talk about ignorance, huh?) I never thought I’d be typing my 10,000th post. I rarely posted because of I was so awe-stricken. I figured if I had nothing of interest to add, why the hell should I throw myself into the conversation?

How things have changed. …

I’ve only been posting seriously -- and I’m using that word loosely -- here since May, and my only regret is that I waited so long to start. I’ve upped the pace tremendously since then, especially over the last three or four months, providing you all with -- I hope -- some laughs at my expense. A lot can be done with a love of ‘90s sitcoms, a lack of life and with sex pretty much out of the question. Of course, that’s certainly not a path I’d recommend. …

I’ve learned so much from the people here, both brilliant and … less brilliant. You all have my utmost respect. That’s why you see the surplus of sirs and ma’ams next to that dashing picture of Zack Morris. It’s not just because most of you are older than me, although it doesn’t hurt. I am constantly enamored by the insight bestowed left and right. It’s extremely humbling to read what others have written. I aim to be just as good as the best here. But, for now, I’ll just sit back and continue to be routinely spoiled by them.

You challenge me every day to be more intelligent, creative and funny, and hopefully I’ll get there one day.

Although I’m rarely intimidated now and far from afraid to divulge my private affairs -- or lack thereof -- I still look up to everyone here. That will never change. I’m proud to call you my friends.

There hardly comes a time when I think a story of mine shouldn’t be told. Maybe I should filter some of the things I post or quit putting so much faith in my instincts and impulses. But if I can make one person laugh -- either by my humor or, even better, my humiliation -- I call the day a success. Hopefully I’ve been able to do that a couple times here and there.

Thanks for letting me infest your site with my dumb stories and stupid jokes. More important, thanks for instilling in me the confidence not only around here, but professionally and personally.

I’m eternally grateful.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Congrats, Mikey. May you one day be in the presence of a naked woman.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Happy 10K, sir.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Jesus H., would you get laid already?

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Thanks for writing that Mike. As much as I've enjoyed the punchlines at your expense, I've also enjoyed your spirit.

It's not easy to hit that "Post" button 10,000 times. I can understand how it would be intimidating to hit it once. To be in the company of posters, some of whom are absolutely amazing writers is a daunting proposition indeed.

Congratulations on the first 10,000. Here's to the next 10,000 and a great life ahead.

and maybe you can finally get laid one of these decades...

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Mike, you truly are one of the most entertaining, colorful, and fun of all the members on these boards.

With that said, in honor of your 10,000 post I say we each put $1 towards the Getting Mike Laid Fund. Surely we could find a spectacular whore if every regular poster contributed...

And maybe she'll even stay and watch Fresh Prince after the sex.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Shit, BB, I'm in for $5.

Seriously, you set up a paypal site and I will contribute $5.

Mike, you're the man, and I appreciate your friendship on here.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Congrats buddy. Thanks for being a pal on here.

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

[​IMG]

Don't forget, some of us love Slater.

Congrats, mike311gd!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Mike has survived the ball-busting and become a clutch poster.

Kind of like the guy who gets hit in the junk on a few occasions in the first quarter, then bounces back to nail the game-winning shot.

11. I think the can't-get-laid thingy is just as act, and Mikey is doing more plowing than an Indiana farmer.

Nobody can be that self-deprecating, can they?

Or not.

Either way, he's one of my favorite posters on SportsJournalists.com

Congrats on 10k, sir.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted