1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four Suspects Arrested in Taylor Killing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Nov 30, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/11/30/sean.taylor/

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I believe there's a moratorium on the death penalty right now because of how some lethal injections that have taken longer than they should.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Florida used to have the electric chair called "Old Sparky" because it malfunctioned when put into use and the governor or someone said something to the effect of "You better not commit a crime in Florida because the electric chair doesn't work exactly as it's designed to".

And I find it interesting The Herald put a name on one of the suspects who is 17. Not saying I disagree, just something I noticed.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm assuming both the 17-year-olds will charged as adults.

5. MileHigh

Yes, probably. But until they are ...

Again, not disagreeing. But it's something you don't usually see.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pretty much any killing that occurs in the commission of a felony qualifies for capital punishment. It really doesn't matter whether they meant to go and kill Taylor or just happened upon him. I'm thinking though that these guys are looking at life sentences with varying eligibility dates on when they can apply for parole, say between 40 and 50 years.

7. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

The Miami Dade police director is quoted as saying "they were certainly not looking to go there and kill anyone."

I really don't know jack about these sort of things, but I doubt there will be first degree murder charge(s). It seems that everything we've heard from authorities so far indicates that this wasn't a premeditated killing.

8. MileHigh

Disagree (until I look up Florida law). They had a gun and using a gun in the commission of a crime could result in Murder One.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There are very few states, if any, where a felony murder wouldn't be first degree murder.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know it is early, but the thought that the robbers' mindset was there was a nice house, let's go rob it seems done. These guys can be traced back to Taylor through friendships or a party.

I have a feeling the Pulling up the Ladder debate will start be heard more and more in the coming days, weeks and months.

I honestly hope many athletes are calling real estate agents this morning.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Who brings a gun to a burglary where they don't expect anyone to be home?

The 17 year olds are adults for murder charges, but not eligible for the DP. Not all felonies count as felony murder, but burglary usually does.

There is a connection between the suspects and Taylor.

This is going to be interesting. Those that usually don't ask for the name of murder victim's but rally round the defendant's rights are going to have a hard time here.

12. Who never asks for the name of a murder victim?

Draft saved Draft deleted