1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four Seattle-area police officers shot dead in coffee-shop ambush

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Nov 29, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Jesus. They were apparently sitting working on their laptops, when some guy walked in and opened fire, killing all four of them.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/29/washington.police.shooting/index.html

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

"A targeted, selected ambush."

Holy crap. That is scary.

Here's hoping they catch that guy fast. Who knows what he may be planning next?

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I seriously hope this guy is not taken alive.

4. mb

mb Active Member

Killed four cops? The only way he's taken alive is if he surrenders to the Red Cross.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We can only hope.

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Sad to read some of the comments on there. A select few are offering what seems like support for the gunman, saying he probably had his civil rights violated and sought retaliation.

Is that where we are in this country? Someone violates your civil rights, you gun them down in broad daylight? Hmm, I thought those things only happened in westerns and mob movies.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The CBS Evening News gave a description of the shooter that included the fact that he was an African-American.

Here's the New York Times description:

Not trying to be an ass, but did they intentionally leave that out or did they not have the info whent hey posted the story?

I'd think if they knew he was around 5'8", they'd also know what the description of his race was.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I realize the facts are still coming out, but I'd be shocked if this guy acted alone. No way he gets away clean without help.

This sounds like an organized crime-type hit all the way. Horrible.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

This morning when I heard the news coming across the wire, there were 2 gunmen who walked in and fired upon the officers?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

A.) Are you really going to turn this into a liberal media rant?

B.) Aren't you going to feel foolish if the CBS Evening News is proven wrong?

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's just weird. And I'm not looking for some "liberal media" boogeyman. I'm just wondering why one news organization would mention his race and another would not.

And it's just as likely that CBS is wrong.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I realize this case may be unique but there has been a spate of multiple-fatality shootings in our neck of the woods lately. Winter's here, with all the rain/drizzle/showers/mist/gray/fog-associated depressing dreariness that seems to drive some people over the edge.

Draft saved Draft deleted