1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four nights in New Orleans this week

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dargan, Jul 13, 2008.

1. dargan

dargan Active Member

I've already inspected several of the previous I'm-in-New-Orleans-for-a-few-days threads and gotten a good handle on what to do. A friend and I (who's celebrating his 24th birthday) are heading to N.O. on Wednesday.

I've been several times, but I've only stayed two nights each of those occasions. With four nights at my disposal, I'm hoping to branch out to Magazine and Uptown this time.

We're staying at the Astor Crowne Plaza at the corner of Bourbon and Canal. Stayed there last year. Liked it just as much, if not more, than the Sheraton a couple blocks down Canal. Plus, it's a little cheaper.

What I wanna know is this ... where are the good blues bars? I believe I heard on Sirius that Walter "Wolfman" Washington plays every Thursday at the Banks Street Bar. Does anybody know about this? Where else should we go for blues, Quarter locations and Uptown locations?

And besides Acme, Redfish Grill, Cafe Du Monde, where must we eat.? No hamburgers, no steaks. Seafood, Creole, Cajun, pork-related items only. You know, the good stuff. If possible, suggestions for less-expensive locales. We've got one big meal planned, but we can't decide between Commander's Palace and K-Paul's. Which one?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Galatoire's.

Go for lunch.

Thank me later.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Never been to K-Paul's, but my one trip to Commander's Palace for lunch was a meal I'll never forget. Not even so much for the food, but just for the experience. They wait on you hand and foot. At one point in our meal, I took a long sip off my water glass, emptying it about halfway. As I was setting it down, about 30 feet down a hallway I spied one of the waitresses assigned to our table. By the time my glass hit the table, she was already picking up the water pitcher and heading our way.
    No matter what your bill is, you won't feel like you've left enough for the tip.

4. lono

lono Active Member

Acme for oysters
    www.acmeoyster.com/

The Dungeon for after-midnight insanity
    http://www.originaldungeon.com/

Cafe du Monde for your hangover
    www.cafedumonde.com/

5. Key

Key Well-Known Member

RedFish Grill is okay - I don't understand the fuss, though.

For something fairly cheap, have lunch at the Gumbo Shop near Jackson Square. Also, grab a muffaletta at Central Grocery one day.

Dick and Jenny's in the Garden District was pretty good and not terribly expensive. Make no mistake, though. You're gonna spend some money on food while you're in New Orleans.

And you will not be disappointed with Commander's Palace.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

K-Paul's is good, but not in the same orbit as Commander's. That said, you can eat well at K-Paul's for well under $100 if you aren't ordering booze. Likewise, Tujague's in the Quarter is old line Creole at a more tolerable price point. But if you really want to splurge, Commander's is a great way to go.

If you want to eat cheap at lunch and keep it real, Mother's is the best po boy joint I've tried.

Believe it or not, New Orleans is a sucky BBQ town.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

http://www.atneworleans.com/body/camelliagrill.htm

A cliche, perhaps, but well-earned.

Also, send a PM to FuerteJ for some lesser-known gems.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

An excellent reason for him to break his no burgers rule.

Also, if there are no locations at home, you really need to get chicken from a Popeye's, preferably one with extra-surley help.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Good call on Popeyes if there isn't one in his area.

And the Camellia will take care of him even if he (gasp!) doesn't want a burger there.

10. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Jacques-imo's...Jacques-Imo's...Jacques-Imo's.
    EAT THERE. Just DO It.

My family is from New Orleans, I lived there for a few years and I'm telling you they made the best fried chicken breast I've ever eaten.

http://jacquesimoscafe.com

11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Goochman, Great call on JacquesImo's.
    Get there early or expect to put your name on the list and have some drinks at the Maple Leaf Bar next door as you wait. And make sure you start with the Alligator Cheesecake.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

With no disrespect to Goochman and others who hail from New Orleans, I hate it. My last two experiences have been miserable. Good luck with your trip.

Draft saved Draft deleted