1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four Marines killed in a rampage shooting, coincidentally occurring a few weeks after another one

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 16, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hey, we're up to page 3 already!

The outpouring of grief has been really moving.

2. YankeeFan

Reporter on MSNBC just said the search for a motive intensifies.

Yeah. I hope they find it soon.

JackReacher likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You think the flag should have come down, but you think that people should have waited to bring it up, and you also think they had improper motives.

You're asking people to thread an awfully fine needle there.

Where are the posts where you vented against the people who quickly turned Benghazi political?

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

5. Dick Whitman

I'm not going to put on a big song and dance, whether it's Charleston or Chattanooga, in which I "honor the victims" by learning what they liked to eat for breakfast, and then sit in further quiet contemplation, "honor[ing]" them.

Every life lost matters. Every life lost sickens me. We have a problem, a growing problem, with rampage shootings in this country. I can discuss that and care about it without changing my Facebook profile picture to a tastefully done collage of the victims.

6. Dick Whitman

He's not a troll. He earnestly wants to push people to defend their positions.

7. YankeeFan

Who made it political Dick?

How about the folks who made up a story about a fucking video to give political cover to a sitting President, running for re-election, who had claimed to have defeated Al-Quada?

That story wasn't political?

Susan Rice lying to to us wasn't political? President Obama lying to the gals on the View wasn't political?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Spot on.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Oh, sure. But, the people who pivoted from the Benghazi shooting to the President, before the bodies were even buried, weren't honoring the lives of the victims, they were trying to score political points. They thought they could put "soft-on-terror liberals" in a pickle, and that they could turn that into a national issue, that would help elect Republicans, including, and especially, the unlikable former governor of Massachussetts.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Fourteen (14) years of military action against these people. Spanning the globe. Supported and led by members of both parties. Hundreds of thousands of people killed, captured, tortured, and/or indefinitely detained.

11. YankeeFan

Touché.*

But, I think it's tough to argue that one side made it political, when the people in power immediately lied about it in order to preserve political viability.

*And, I think Romney mostly is a likeable, if sometimes awkward , guy, who was defined as unlikeable by his political opponents (including some fellow Republicans) and the media. The public dislikes the former first lady because they've gotten to know her over the last 25 years.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No, like I said, I think it's particularly pathetic, though certainly not out of character, that you and YF in the moments after the deaths of four Marines decide it's an opportune time to go on a message board and begin contorting logic to troll about things that have absolutely nothing to do with the tragic event.

Draft saved Draft deleted