1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four Holes in One? Uh, no

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting read and I'd be curious to know what other info they had before running this.

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/08/27/sports-reporter-furious-after-sources-lie-about-holes-in-one/

2. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just four? Amateurs.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Holes in one should be between God and yourself, because nobody will believe you no matter how many so-called witnesses.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Makes me think of this story:

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2007-11/gd0711kindred_gagne

5. Love this story ...

6. No offense
    But four golfers all hitting holes-in-one in a tournament would have raised my bullshit antenna. The fact they were all in the same foursome!?
    Plus a double eagle and a 90-foot putt?
    Come on .. Some of the blame - some - goes to the reporter for not fact checking this a little bit.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

We had two on the same hole on the same day ... by two women. It was a great story, because we got them together a few weeks later, and not once did I think there was a hoax. I quizzed them both thoroughly about what club they used, where it landed, how far it rolled and their reaction to going in. They never had to "think" about it. They had the answers ready to go.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, who falls for that?

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I was on the same 9-hole course the day a retired gentleman who was a regular aced No. 3 and No. 5 - both shots of over 150 yards (I didn't see either).

For the record, he made a double bogey on No. 4, thus finishing that 3-hole stretch 2 under.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm going to say almost all of the blame goes to the reporter in this case. A comedian called the office and said he and three friends, playing in the same foursome, all hit holes in one. The reporter confirmed this with one other source, another member of the group (who does work at the golf course). Furthermore, he apparently never asked anyone what drivers they used or to describe the shots. (I assume this because the comedian says he never lied, and the reporter accuses him of deliberately misrepresenting the truth but not directly lying.)

Also, why isn't this in Journalism topics only?

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Bush league, both to get all breathless over this story, and to get angry at them for successfully fooling the reporter.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's another thing: What is accomplished by the angry column? If anything, it serves to feed trolls.

Draft saved Draft deleted