1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four dead in Ohio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, May 4, 2020.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

50 years ago today

EXHw3tdWoAAO7gc.jpeg

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes. Thank you for posting this.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

--a fifth student permanently paralyzed
    --the girl in the photo, Mary Ann Vecchio was a 14-year-old runaway and didn't meet John Filo who took that Pulitzer Prize-winning photo until the 25th anniversary of the event. He avoided contacting Vecchio because he felt guilty about how much publicity she had to endure because of the photo.
    --May 4, 1970 was also a Monday
    --"Ohio" by Neil Young was written and recorded within two weeks of the shootings

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It's kind of crazy to think about the protests then, and this outcome and the assholes storming the Michigan capitol with all those weapons.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, if the antiwar hippies at Kent State had been brandishing combat weapons, there would have been "4000 dead in Ohio."

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think I've read that Nick Saban had an English class with one of the murdered women that morning. And that one or several members of DEVO were acquainted with one of the murdered male students.

I remember students wearing black armbands to my high school the next day, and massive campus unrest at the University of Buffalo.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

In my FB timeline who was 22 at the time. When people pushed back in the thread he posted, "It was kill or be killed in this case."

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 1.37.42 PM.png

Oggiedoggie likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I had a college professor who was a student at Kent State when it happened. I don't know/recall if he was in the middle of it/a bystander/or even on campus when it went down. The only thing I remember is he brought it up pretty much on a daily basis.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Throwing tear gas canisters back. Commie pinkos.

Draft saved Draft deleted