1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four-Color World: The Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Dec 11, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Re: The Dark Knight is done, now is it Superman's turn?

Meh. The New Yorkers throwing crap off the bridge was just as bad.

But the bit about the romance is where you really lose me. The chemistry between Peter and Gwen in Amazing is so much better.

2. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Wrong.
    That chemistry was forced.

3. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

IWillFindHim.com has the new "Man of Steel" preview, and it looks fantastic. This is my must-see movie this summer.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My problem with Superman has always been that he was invincible (except for kryptonite); others were more vulnerable.

The preview looks promising (especially in IMAX) but still not sure.

5. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

I gave up any hope of some kind of realism or logic in these things once Batman was stabbed in the side, didn't bleed out in the 20 minute battle following, and then didn't die in a nuclear explosion.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

B.

Goes back to December?

7. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

This is the first new cinematic take on the character in 35 years. Everything since Donner's first movie -- Superboy, Lois & Clark, Smallville, Superman Returns -- were all based on a variation of that vision. Spider-man was rebooted way too soon.

8. outofplace

I disagree on Smallville. That was a different take on the character.

Spider-Man was rebooted too soon, but I liked the execution.

9. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

Smallville used the crystal design, Jonathan Kent's death, and the John Williams music. It didn't stray from the Donner version enough.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Superman is so powerful that he's boring.

11. outofplace

Jonathan Kent was alive for a much larger part of the story on Smallville than the Donner version. What was there in the Donner version, maybe one conversation between him and Clark to help guide him? His death had a lot more impact on the show. Smallville was erratic at best, but the funeral was one of the moments that was really well done.

If I remember correctly, they didn't use the John Williams music until the very end of the series. The music for most of the series was very different.

The series version of Zod was very different. It also dealt with Clark having to learn about his powers, something that was never an issue with the Donner version. ("Heat" being an interesting concept.) It was really more of a teen drama for a while, then shifted to more action and exploration of the DC Universe. Also, the show's version of Lex Luthor was much more complex. The characters were friends for most of the early seasoins.

Smallville had many failings, but sticking to close to Donner's version was not one of them.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Or the writers are hacks who don't know about or focus on his weaknesses (other than Green K)>

Draft saved Draft deleted