1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four-Color World: The Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

https://www.facebook.com/manofsteel

The "Man of Steel" Facebook page has the new preview. Looks amazing. Nolan came close to perfection with the Batman, and although he's only the producer, "Man of Steel" could be just as good. Two of those movies made nearly a billion dollars each worldwide, "Man of Steel" has to capture the public's imagination just the same. (It's crazy that these movies have the potential to rake in so much money anyway.)

It's a breath of fresh air to get a new take on Superman, instead of rehashing a 35-year-old film. Richard Donner did a lot right, but his movie is dated. It was time to reboot.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Re: The Dark Knight is done, now is it Superman's turn?

Time to reboot? Definitely. But if it really does go with a darker tone like Nolan's Batman movies, that just doesn't fit the character. That was part of the problem with the last movie. Superman isn't Batman. Sure, there are times he has to feel the weight of the world on his shoulders, but he is supposed to be inspiring, not brooding.

3. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Another rebooted super hero origin story? Feh! I pass. They just did this with Spiderman this year and I didn't bother to see that. I know Spiderman's origin story ... I wasn't in need of a 21st century version of it.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hollywood "rebooted" Superman 6 years ago.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0348150/

5. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

In this one, Clark Kent's a blogger!

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Uh, no, they didn't -- they didn't reboot, they rehashed.

More gasbag speeches from Holo Jor-El, more real-estate schemes, failed cocktail-lounge comedy and idiot sidekicks from Shecky Luthor.

7. outofplace

You missed out, then. Amazing Spider-Man was a very entertaining movie. Were certain story beats a given going in? Sure. But there was plenty around that which was worthwhile.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The brooding was largely a result of Singer's decision to cast looks instead of acting chops. Brandon Routh looked the part, but it was his first role and they handed him the keys to an iconic franchise. He simply wasn't a capable actor and they knew it. So they limited his dialogue and had him spend half the movie staring. He's not much better now from what I've seen on that new sit-com he's in.

Agreed that it was very entertaining. I've said it before, though, i don't think the origin stories are always necessary. Everyone knew how Spiderman became Spiderman and it wasn't going to vary much. They should have skipped it entirely or streamlined it and gotten into the story.

Nonetheless, The Amazing Spiderman was better than Spiderman, which doesn't hold up well at all. I'll be interested to see if The Amazing Spiderman 2 can top Spiderman 2, which was the best of the franchise to date.

Back to Man of Steel, the trailers definitely have me jacked up to see it this summer.

9. outofplace

I agree that Routh was a big part of the problem, but the brooding was also in the script. The whole loner/outsider thing just doesn't work for Superman.I'm afraid we might see more of that in this version.

One part of the trailer really bugged me. Jonathan Kent telling a young Clark that he has to keep his powers a secret and that maybe he should have let a school bus full of kids die rather than reveal himself. The influence of the Kents on Superman is a huge part of every version of the character. They are the source of his moral center, his decency. Jonathan Kent telling his adopted son to let people die to protect himself doesn't come close to fitting that.

To your point on origins, the only way it works is if you make such significant changes that you keep only the spirit of the origin we know. Amazing Spider-Man tweaked things a little, borrowing heavily from the Ultimate Comics version of the character, but they didn't go far enough. I still like the movie and agree that it was better than Raimi's first, but the origin was the worst part of it.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I don't think it will be overly brooding, but it appears to take a serious look at the concept of "how does a man-god fit into our world?" Besides, if you ponder the possibility of a man like that existing in our world it's damn scary. And from the man-god's point of view, how do you cope with abilities you didn't ask for because you thought you were just like mom and dad ... until you jumped through the ceiling.

It can still be a fun movie as well. Even "Iron Man 2" raised some serious questions like "can you trust one man won't abuse the power he weilds?"

So, since this is a new version of his first appearance, I expect a lot of conflict and drama. I expect by the end of the movie, Superman will be accepted and take on that symbol of hope. He's just not going to pop up and have everyone immediately trust him. The world isn't that naive. If anything, we'd try to tear him down upon arrival.

None of these concepts are new to the character, and they crop up with ever re-telling. The issue is the execution of the filmmaker. "Superman Returns" had an interesting concept. What would happen if people took Superman for granted, and then one day he's just not there anymore? And what happens when he comes back, years after the world moved on? Great concepts, but the movie was poorly executed. Within 45 minutes, it was like Superman never left. The world (sans Lois) welcomed him back without question. Where's the conflict? Without conflict, there's no drama. It's why we didn't get "Superman Returns 2" years ago.

If you can't tell, Superman movies are my thing.

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Freako.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There has to be more of the conversation between Ray ..... oops, Jonathan and Clark.

When Jonathan says "maybe," he kind of chokes up/pauses/ looks down, as if he knows he's said the wrong thing and has to explain it.

Of course in a trailer we don't get to see the next 20 seconds of the conversation that explains to Clark, "no you shouldn't let people die but you need to remember to stay out of sight when you save them."

Draft saved Draft deleted