1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Found: 1940 NCAA Basketball Final! Indiana vs. Kansas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wait ... so D_B actually posted a link that was worth a shit? That's bigger news than finding this lost footage.

That light at mid-court almost looks like sunlight coming through a hole in the roof, but I don't think KC's Municipal Auditorium had anything like that.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ahem

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mikan didn't come around until later in the 1940s and a lot of what we see today (wider lanes, the shot clock) came about because of him, but I get your point. Hell, the game's changed immensely in just the last 25 years.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My favorite part of the video was when one of the players from the team going left to right heaved up a one-armed shot from like 28 feet out for no reason.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it was an illusion created by the super speed of the film, but it seemed like a lot of shots were just on whims and not really part of designed plays.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah. And remember, this wasn't some scrub-a-dub game between Hillbilly High School and Bugtussle Tech, it was the NCAA Championship Game.

Seek out this link the next time some ole gaffer starts to yammer on about "the good old days" when they "played the game the right way."

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

30 posts about film footage from 1940 and no spnited jokes? :eek: Talk about the upset of the year.

Draft saved Draft deleted