1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forty Years Since Munich -- Remembering the Massacre

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Jul 25, 2012.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I just remember my grandfather crying: 'They're killing all the Jews.'

HanSenSE, I understand your point about the moment of silence. There are other ways for a network to recognize the story. But I commend Costas for using his visibility to make an issue of this.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

All black unis at the opening ceremonies with 11 SODs on the sleeves.

If the IOC starts getting huffy about letting them in the stadium wearing "unapproved attire," Sit. Down. On. The. Ground. And Stay There.

Somebody with video cameras will be along in about 0.0003 seconds.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I have no doubt NBC will do something at some point. Maybe not during the Opening Ceremonies, but somewhere along the million hours of coverage. I suspect Tom Brokaw or one the news people did it and it's already been shot, edited and in the can to pull out whenever.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

NBC actually did a hourlong documentary about the Munich massacre that aired during their coverage of the Barcelona Olympics. I wonder if they'll re-air it over the next two weeks.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's all good 21

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I was 18 and just started at a paper. I remember watching McKay - a "sports guy" - and feeling so proud because the feeling I was already getting the feeling that sports was considered the "toy department." The fact that McKay was anchoring the coverage to me was proving that sports could also be legitimate journalism.

And his "they're gone ... they're all gone" comment rivals Cronkite's reaction to the official news of JFK's death in my memories.

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

My freshman year of college had started just days earlier. Not being a kid at home became real in a different way.

There was a memorial service, which was attended by a good number of Christians, too.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I was just 12 and we'd just moved after mom remarried. It's the first Olympics I remember watching and, wow. My mom made me go out and play for a while and I guess it worked, since I forgot about it until doing the dinner dishes that night and the radio station I was listening to broke into programming with the back-to-back bulletins. They're safe ... no, they're all dead.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Rooting for Bob for come through -- and no other NBC stooge better start prattling to fill the silence.

Only thing better would be for Israeli team to march into the stadium with mini-torches in a formation which
    reads "Suck It, Iran" from above.

Draft saved Draft deleted