1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forty Years Later ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Aug 8, 2014.

1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

More HST on Nixon, because this paragraph is great.

"If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin."

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, HST sure could write, but, in retrospect, wasn't he also a jabbering dupe?

He was wound so tight that he needed narcotics and a loaded gun just to get out of bed.

3. That 1964 election was sure a close one. LBJ should have run "Daisy" 'round the clock.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Are you attributing this quote to Harry S Truman? I'm skeptical of its authenticity. Truman died in 1972.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Harry S Truman would likely have said much the same thing.
    He had no love lost for Nixon and was not shy about saying so.

6. You're not a cool journo if you don't adore HST.

7. Yeah sorry. You're right ..

8. I think this was Lincoln's quote on Nixon.
    I saw it on Facebook.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

You're never cutting-edge cool around here until you worship someone who destroyed himself.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I have tremendous respect for both Truman and Nixon. Yes, I'm a bit strange.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Nixon and Pat paid Harry and Bess a courtesy call at the library in Independence late in Truman's life. Nixon got on the piano and played "The Missouri Waltz" attempting to please the older man not realizing Truman hated the song.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This is a good look back at Nixon, the "last liberal president."

http://time.com/3095963/nixon-still-one/

Also, Nixon was quite skilled at TV recaps.

Draft saved Draft deleted