1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forty Years Later ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Kept the country from disintegrating during the Depression, implemented Social Security and the minimum wage, presided over most of World War II ....

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." -- Mark Twain

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That seems right to me.

PBS had a special on friday highlighting Dick Cavett's tv show out in front of the Watergate coverage.

Nixon was a foul, petty, vindictive, evil man.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The current president has a bigger ego than Nixon ever had.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Probably. Nixon felt the sting of losing elections. Obama has never lost anything. That tends to feed the ego pretty well.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Nixon hated the Kennedys.
    That fuel went a long way for him.
    If he'd gone to Harvard instead of Whittier and weren't the son of a lemon rancher, things might have gone differently.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Nixon resigning is the political version of SMU's death penalty -- no one is ever going to let things go that far again.

Nixon didn't resign until Republicans made clear they no longer had his back. But, today, everyone would take their sides and hang in for the long run.

Politically, while Nixon did a lot of things today's Tea Partiers would find too liberal, his lasting legacy is the politics of resentment and rage. Nixon's crew invented the Southern strategy that made sure to play to the fears of every white man. Even though the Republicans put out their document saying that strategy isn't a national winner anymore, the party (and the base Nixon riled up) is too habituated to stop.

8. Nixon and his boys hardly invented that strategy ... See Goldwater's "Daisy" ad.

And I think that's true. And a HUGE part of the problem today.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The "Daisy" ad was from the Lyndon B. Johnson camp. It ran only once.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And if people don't want to accept that, they are being intellectually dishonest.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The. "Daisy " ad should have run 100 times a day.

In May 1964, Goldwater discussed quite casually the use of nuclear weapons in Vietnam as a practical option being proposed by 'serious military people. '

He hedged and tiptoed away from it, but didn't flat-out disavow it. A large proportion of his John Birch Society-powered base was fully on board with it.

12. doctorx

doctorx Member

Somewhere I have the AP bulletin that came off the old machine. My desk was closest and it rang like crazy a good bit of the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted