1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forty Years Later ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Aug 8, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

... I am a married, early-50s father of three. But 40 years ago today I was a kid riding in the front seat while my father drove the family to the coast for a few days of vacation, and we were all spellbound by the radio reports that President Nixon was going to announce his resignation that night on TV.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/08/08/nixon-watergate-resignation-anniversary/13739409/

Nowadays the Watergate endgame doesn't seem quite so dramatic. But it was a helluva big thing back then.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Most influential president of the 20th century.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Richard Nixon has never been one of my favorite people anyway. For years I've regarded his existence as a monument to all the rancid genes and broken chromosones that corrupt the possibilities of the American Dream; he was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena and the style of a poison toad. The Nixon I remembered was absolutely humorless; I couldn't imagine him laughing at anything except maybe a paraplegic who wanted to vote Democratic but couldn't quite reach the lever on the voting machine." -- HST

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

To that end ... here's HST and Nixon talking' football from Manchvegas to the airport.

http://blog.nixonfoundation.org/2009/12/37-was-fan-1/

You somehow end up in the car with ...

° Bubba
    ° Obama
    ° Rand
    ° Hillary
    ° Christie
    ° Mitt

... what would be the one non-political thing you'd want to talk about with each?

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I would replace 'Most influential president' with 'One of the most despicable human beings'.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Nixon accomplished more in office than each of the last two presidents.

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Nixon and Watergate are one of the most fascinating areas of history to me. I'm interested in Watergate and Nixon like some are interested in the Kennedy conspiracies.

Here's an interesting story today on what Nixon did after he resigned to rehabilitate his image: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/05/project-wizard-richard-nixons-post-watergate-plan-for-redemption/370874/

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They aren't mutually exclusive.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Nixon would be a lightweight amid the culture of corruption and abuse of power that has come to define the executive branch. Watergate wasn't the end of a bad thing; it was the beginning.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Knock, knock.
    Who's there?
    Nixon.
    Nixon who?
    Nixon, who like B.O., also used the IRS to harass and intimidate political opponents.
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/irs-apologizes-targeting-conservative-groups

Most of U.S. academia and 98 percent of contemporary journalists believe the charges against Nixon were enough to label him a world-class menace.
    But when the Unicorn King does it, it's

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. For an administration that supported detente, instituted price controls, and established the EPA, Nixon elicits a lot of hate from the left.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nixon would be considered a traitor to his party if he tried implementing those things today.

Draft saved Draft deleted