1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fortune: YES network on the block

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 2, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Since the Yankees are paying a huge share of the costs of the NEW Yankee Stadium, the Yankees' debt service will increase substantially. This will keep them out of the luxury tax system for a while.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It will also increase overall valuation of team.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I say we start chipping in. Move that Boomer fund over here.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

No. I generally don't like the idea of owners being in any sports Hall of Fame. On rare occasions, general managers or founders who have a huge impact, like Branch Rickey or people who build a team. Having owners in a Hall of Fame is like allowing people to buy their way into the Hall of Fame.

5. In Exile

In Exile Member

That's exactly how Tom Yawkey got into the Hall of Fame - big donations. He's in - for what? - and guys like Jacob Ruppert are not.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

If I'm not mistaken, his sons never really wanted to run the team anyway, but have been thrust into that role since the son-in-law became the ex son-in-law.
    Wonder if that's not at the root of eventually selling?

Also, how could the network get 3 billion and the team only 1.5?

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Those Centerstage with Michael Kay shows are worth a bundle.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

From what I've heard, his sons are interested in making their own names and not so interested in owning the Yankees, which has fed the speculation that the team would be sold. The really interesting thing is that if they're sold and the new owners cut payroll, a handful of other teams will suffer because of the decrease in shared revenue. Amazing how much impact Steinbrenner is having on the game that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted