1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fort Worth Star-Telegram to stop the presses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So that the Dallas Morning News can print it. About 275 total press people will lose their jobs.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/headlines/20131106-morning-news-to-print-star-telegram.ece

Forget reading anything breaking in print in the Star-Telegram anymore. The press plant is 50 miles away in Plano.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

FB, the presses for my alma mater, the Boston Herald, are now in Springfield, Mass. about 90-100 miles away from the newsroom.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You forgot the blue font, right?

Breaking news in a print newspaper? Wow, you're really dating yourself. I bet you even remember when phones had chords.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Someone I used to work with sent out a slide show that was shot on 9/11 by a photo editor who hung out in the office and documented efforts to put out multiple extra editions, showing the press people reading the first runs. It really sucked realizing I worked on the last EXTRA edition that paper will ever print. And that was more than a decade ago. They made the move to off-site printing a few years back .

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

My current ringtone has chords, for what it's worth.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I read the Dallas Morning News report, What struck me is that 200 part-timers and 75 full-time employees will be eliminated at the Star-Telegram but only about a dozen hired in Dallas. With those kind of economics we will be seeing a lot more of this. Will the Washington Post print the Baltimore Sun? The St. Petersburg paper the Orlando paper?

7. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

The Sacramento Bee has been printing the Modesto Bee — a paper 75 miles away — since 2008. For more than a year, the Tri-City Herald in Washington has been printed in Yakima, about 85 miles away.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The next step wpu;d seem to be combining newspapers and having zoned editions.

Draft saved Draft deleted