1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fort McMurray Burning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Iron_chet, May 4, 2016.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

City that is the operational hub of the Canadian Oils Sands has been evacuated due to wild fires. Looks like the town may be completely lost.

All of Fort McMurray evacuated as wildfire intensifies

Estimates are that 53000 people evacuated including 3 of my friends. I can't believe that nobody has been hurt on the roads or caught in a bad spot. Lots of reports of cars running out of gas on the highway South of Ft Mac and citizens head North with water and fuel to help whoever they can.

I know people come together in tragedy but still blown away by people and businesses opening up to evacuees.

So far 2 babies born at one of the workers lodges that some people have escaped to.

Of course there are some shit birds on Twitter saying this is karma for climate change but severely outnumbered by the people who want to help.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Wow, evacuating 53,000 people is no small feat. And, typical of American media, I hadn't heard a peep out of this international news.

SFIND and bigpern23 like this.
  3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Saw a Tweet from the premier of Newfoundland saying they have water bombers, fire crews, whatever they need, ready to go to Fort Mac as soon as they get the word. Gotta love the Newfies, salt of the fucking earth...

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How big is the town? I've seen one report saying 80,000 and others saying 60-ish and 50-ish.

Regardless, it should be a much, much bigger story than it is.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In the US?

This isn't even flyover country. News directors in New York don't give a shit.

It'll eventually get some coverage because social media will force them to address it.

It only gets big coverage if big oil can be made to look villainous.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well, half of Northern Alberta is from Newfoundland.

HC likes this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

True but the point is Newfoundland isn't exactly around the corner.

JC likes this.
  8. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Or if it appears that the under class was not properly assisted in the evacuation
    and left to fend for themselves.

9. Iron_chet

80K is more accurate number.

Today is supposed to be worse. Hotter than yesterday and winds are picking up.

Lots of great stories out there of people helping out.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

JR and I were watching this on the news and my first thought was that it seems early in the season for forest fires, doesn't it?

11. Iron_chet

Dry as heck here right now.

Full fire bans in effect thru the province. What's interesting is that we are coming up to flood season.

Last year at this time there was 10 CM of snow on the ground here but we haven't had snow in at least a couple months.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

80k people evacuating should be a major story - no matter where it's happening in North America.

Draft saved Draft deleted