1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MMatt60, Mar 14, 2008.

1. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Insiders say the current assistant in charge of high schools will move up a notch, and she'll be replaced by a new hire.

2. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

P.S. The people they turned down make too much $$$ to consider as assistants.

3. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

Simon, perhaps you can explain this one: Why was Christianson (sp?) good enough to take over in White's absense but not good enough to get the job permanently?

Not trying to cast any aspersions on Laughlin -- I don't know her at all. I do know Tom, though, and I'm just wondering.

???

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As usual, spot-on.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Ad says the ASE will manage some special sections and develop and oversee enterprise and long-term projects.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The Sun-Sentinel has indeed lost a ton of space and can't do what they used to do. And they're doing some weird things in other sections, very consumer and local oriented. But I disagree strongly that the Post and Herald sports sections have run away and hidden from the S-S.

Also, during their best times, the Sun-Sentinel and Herald were VERY competitive with each other, trading who had the best section on any given day. And yes, Frank, space was certainly a part of it. But there was a ton of talent at both sections, inside and outside.

In fact, at their height -- discounting Pope, who's something unto his own -- the Sentinel had the better writing staff. The Herald had very solid pluggers who I admired greatly. The Sentinel had stars and future superstars. While they were gone when the S-S was at its best, consider that both Plaschke and Gene Wojciechowski once did PREPS in Fort Lauderdale. Tim Rosaforte was in Fort Lauderdale and doing great work on paper before becoming a TV guy (I know, I know, he still writes, too).

When all were at their best, South Florida had three top sports sections, among the Top 20 in the country on a daily basis.

7. Dave Tepps

Dave Tepps New Member

As a Herald alum, I love this discussion. Beyond the Pontiff, there were master craftsmen like Gary Long and Bill Braucher and many stars and future stars. In no particular order: Larry Dorman ......Greg Cote..........Phil Taylor........ Peter Richmond ..... S.L. Price ...... Linda Robertson ....... Scott Fowler ........ Michelle Kaufman ..... Dan LeBatard .......

I'm sure I'm forgetting many.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Shaun Powell ... Dave Hyde. Not to mention the desk, Chico.

9. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

A friend of mine from The Herald said the desk, from the mid-1980s until the early 1990s, was like the '27 Yankees.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It's difficult to believe Fred got the staff (writing and editing) that he did in the 1980s, despite being at a paper that had none of the name recognition the Herald (which was at its peak) did at the time.

11. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Mitch Albom was in Fort Lauderdale, was he not? Back in the '80s, I think.

Gordon Edes was there, too.

12. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

And Bernie Lincicome was in Fort Lauderdale, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted