1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fort Hood shooting 2014

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 2, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Must have been one hell of a "soldier dispute".

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Can you see his postings are a little out of place?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Allegedly Ivan Lopez.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/official-fort-hood-shooter-believed-be-dead

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

IVAN. Mmmmm- hmmmm.

::) ::)

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The gunman, who served in Iraq for four months in 2011, had sought help for depression, anxiety and other problems. Before the attack, he had been undergoing an assessment to determine whether he had post-traumatic stress disorder, Milley said.

http://news.yahoo.com/gunman-kills-3-wounds-16-fort-hood-army-030737677.html

This will probably reignite the mental health/right to bear arms debate.

6. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

OK.....I expect to get pounded for this, but....I started out watching Fox News when coverage of this thing began. I can tolerate Shepard Smith for only so long, but stayed with them through the first 10-15 minutes of "The Kelly File," and that's when I found out Megan Kelly's show has a policy of not naming the shooter when these things occur (An idea proposed after the Colorado movie theater shooting).

My understanding is they did not want to make the shooter's name the only thing people remembered about this event (which I understand), but am wondering what people who might have been watching her at that time thought of the policy Anybody care to weigh in. My thinking is, you cannot COMPLETELY not mention the shooter. You might be able to reduce the amount of time you spend, but not acknowledge the person AT ALL, now that I have seen the policy in action, just does not seem possible without backlash.

OK.....Have at. And as I say, if we could look at this tactic objectively, like the reporters and editors we are, that would help.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Such a policy is pointless when you're the only one doing it.

The only thing it accomplishes is making you look out of touch.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Maybe the policy is there so Fox News viewers can hold out hope the shooter is a Muslim.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

It really is amazing how many times the initial reports get the number of shooter wrong, mostly multiple shooters turning out to be one shooter. Almost becoming universal that what gets reported initially and what turns out to be true never match up.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"If at first you can't directly fault Obama for it, try, try, try again."

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But in fairness you can bet that the political arm of The White House has already
    had numerous meetings to insure that this in someway does not stick to Obama.

It's just the way of Washington

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's always been that way. Nothing unusual about that.

Draft saved Draft deleted