1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Forrest Gump" alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

On TNT right now.

A true classic. ;D

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hide the women and children.

Unfortunately, for most of America's working people . . . the Lord doesn't always provide.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For better or worse, I realize as I watch it here that this film was my entry point into being interested in the '60s and particularly '60s music. It deserves some credit for making me realize for the first time that there was more to the world than balls and strikes.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

As much as I love Forrest Gump, I just off-tuned to an HBO documentary on Joe Namath.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Forrest Gump intensified my already-developed hatred for Bob Seger's Against the Wind.

It is the musical equivalent of a motivational poster with a kitten on it.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Sorry. I like it since it shows him running up Grandfather Mountain when that song is playing.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The best deconstruction of the film.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I had no idea that scene was filmed there. I remember going there as a kid and being petrified of that bridge my parents callously made me walk across despite being scared of heights. It's a beautiful place, though.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Doesn't the very mention of this film bring up the usual "Pulp Fiction/Shawshank was BETTER!!!!!"

Perhaps.

But the best film of 1994 was Hoop Dreams.

10. I was hoping this was going to be a thread about some newly discovered recruit from backwoods Alabama who could run like the wind.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hoop Dreams is a terrific picture.

But in terms of Best Picture standards, Pulp Fiction should have won, in a gallop.

Apples and oranges.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

You learn something new here every day!
    I always thought the running scene was filmed on Beech Mountain (about 15 miles away), not Grandfather.

Draft saved Draft deleted