1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Washington Post Reporter: My Life as an Undocumented Immigrant

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's funny that breaking certain laws bring out the indignation of people that others don't.

Can't we send all our speeders and tax cheats to Mexico, too?

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Anyone who's ever filled out a not-just-for-shits-and-giggles NCAA bracket, too.

3. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Cursed in public, spit on the sidewalk, not paid taxes on internet purchases...

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

News organizations love to ask questions -- and hate to answer them:

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If I get a cease and desist letter from the copyright holder, you're damn sure I'm going to take it down.
    Obviously you would not.
    Bottom line - follow the letter of the law or don't. You can't make up exceptions because this guy is doing well for himself.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You don't need to get a cease and desist letter to violate copyright. If that's the case, the reporter isn't an illegal immigrant because he hasn't been caught.

BTW, did you call the cops on your wife for pulling a knife on you once? No exceptions. She belonged in jail.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Illegal immigrants in journalism ...

I guess that explains why the wages are so low.

8. YankeeFan

LOL. A little needed levity.

And, WTF to Stitch's last post.

9. YankeeFan

Jesus, man. I'm not sure you need to call attention to that.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just imagine how immigrants feel when there lives are changed in an instant, including when families are split apart.

An interesting sidenote is the LDS Church's stance towards illegal immigration. The church supports the Utah Compact, which among other things, states local law enforcement should focus on criminal activities and not civil violations of federal code. It's not sitting well with some conservative LDS lawmakers who are gung-ho about clearing illegal immigrants out of the country.

http://www.theutahcompact.com/

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Actually, legally, she wouldn't have been tried. With her blood sugar so low, she wasn't in a proper mental state to make anything that resembled a decision that was right or wrong.
    And when I said "pulled I knife" she was across the room, took it out, and said "get the fuck away from me."
    Boom, lawyered.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Can I subscribe to your newsletter, "Do as I say, not as I do?"

Draft saved Draft deleted