1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Washington Post Reporter: My Life as an Undocumented Immigrant

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jun 22, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I would completely read that story.

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Because deporting him would improve the country how, exactly?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yes, because we are led to believe illegal immigrants are the root of all evil and society would just be grand without them.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

He is in the country illegally. That is a crime and he should be prosecuted for it.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Civil violation of federal code and this is coming from Christie. His only crime was entering the country illegally, but I doubt most people would consider him culpable for being put on a plane as a kid.

http://www.nj.com/morristown/index.ssf/2008/04/christie_clarifies_illegal_imm.html

6. Rhody31

OK, so what about when he turned 18? He couldn't go through the process of becoming a legal citizen?
    It's like a drug dealer who decides to break out into legal ventures, but still sells coke on the side and thinks its OK because he's got a legit job.
    Does that work IJAG?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why are you being so intentionally stupid? We are talking about someone who was put on a plane alone at age 12, who was led to believe he was here legally until he discovered the truth by accident (and after his new country had become more of a home than his old country), who would have had to return to the Philippines for 10 years to even have a prayer of returning here, and who has become a damn productive citizen in the meantime.

And so far you have compared him to a drunk driver and a drug dealer. Get a grip.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Friends don't let jackasses stay in the country illegally.
    [/ebertcrossthread]

9. Rhody31

His parents brought him into the country illegally. He could have corrected their mistake. He chose not to.
    Illegal immigration is a stupid issue. It's called illegal for a reason. I don't see why illegals won't get documented; it would solve the issue completely.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Great read.

Once again I am torn between the sympathy I feel for persons such as Vargas, whose only goal is to better his life and the lives of those around him, with the understanding that lines have to be drawn somewhere as more and more undocumented aliens arrive.

In Vargas' case, I hope he makes it. Heaven knows, it isn't for lack of trying.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You are aware that the U.S. has strict immigration quotas, particularly w/r/t Mexico, although I realize that's not the country being discussed here?

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Rhody's ignorance is showing through yet again. Did Rhody read the story? How would the reporter go about getting documented?

BTW, just because it's called illegal immigration doesn't mean it's <i>de jure</i> illegal.

Draft saved Draft deleted