1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Washington Post Reporter: My Life as an Undocumented Immigrant

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jun 22, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/magazine/my-life-as-an-undocumented-immigrant.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

And, the interesting back story of how it ended up in the New York Times Magazine instead of the Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/post-responds-to-ex-reporter-vargass-revelation-that-hes-an-illegal-immigrant/2011/06/22/AGrdHRgH_story.html

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Thank you for posting this. Saw it on FB yesterday and didn't think to put it here. I enjoyed it very much.

3. YankeeFan

The end of the Times article is heartbreaking.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This story can't be true. Why I just heard on talk radio that illegal aliens are all disgusting folks who spit on the floor and just want government handouts.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Any truth to the rumor that Vargas was awakened out of bed this morning by an angry John McCain, who was demanding that Vargas go to Arizona and put out the fire he started?

6. HarrisonGoodman

HarrisonGoodman New Member

Well he threw his manager under the bus by admitting he told him his immigration status. So let's not exactly go anointing him for sainthood.

7. Everybody named agreed to be named.

Try again.

8. YankeeFan

No, that's just the illegals from Mexico and Central/South America.

The hard working illegals from Asia are the good kind.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Reading to the end of the story is hard work.

Man, illegals are just scum for wanting to work and be productive members of society.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If the government had any balls, they'd deport this guy ASAP.
    This is the equivalent of someone telling how much they drink and drive.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

In no way is it the same.

If I write a story saying "Oh my god, I was so smashed last night! I drove home!" Guess what? I'm not smashed now. You can't arrest me for it. (clarification: I guess you COULD but it would be tough to prove and probably not worth the costs)

He's still living illegally every day he stays here. Now, if he were legal NOW and then told the story, it's an apt comparison. But as long as he's still here illegally, it's not.

Your comparisons lately have been REALLY bad. Are you OK?

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

IAJG, as usual, you are correct.
    Schieza's wearing off on me. Usually he the one that's terrible.
    I'm just gonna blame the mistakes on the stress of expecting a baby.
    So how about, this is like a guy writing a story about all the people he has kidnapped in his basement.

Draft saved Draft deleted