1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former UN weapons inspector Scott Ritter going to prison

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The third time was the charm.

Ritter, a critic of the Bush administration, was arrested in 2009 in a neighboring township where I live. He was just sentenced to 18-to-66 months in prison yesterday. Has anyone learned a lesson about trolling for underage girls online?

His wife told him to leave the courtroom with his head up high.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111027/NEWS/110270321

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Pretty understanding wife. Dip-shits like Ritter never seem to get it that the cops have computers too.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I am convinced there are three cops online posing as girls looking for sex for every would-be pedophile.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Back when those made-for-TV pedophile stings were a local TV news phenomenon (before Chris Hansen and Dateline became the kings of the genre), a corporate poobah at the parent company of my TV station ordered us to do one. Our investigative unit rented a house, hooked up with the "Perverted Justice" activists and started hitting the chatlines. They were concerned they wouldn't get anyone and the whole thing was doomed to be a bust.

Soon it became clear that a lack of would-be pederasts wasn't the problem; the problem was going to be keeping two or three pederasts from knocking on the door at the same time.
    We were horrified at how many of these douchebags were out there trolling for 13 year olds. They showed up at the house, one after another, for days.

Everyone involved had misgivings about doing the story... but ended up seriously creeped out by the sheer number of pedophiles who took the bait.

5. This isn't the journalism board, but ...

From the cutline: "Ritter was sentenced to 1½ to 5½ months in state prison...."
    From the story: "shortly before being sentenced to 18 to 66 months in state prison."

Wha am I missing here?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm surprised we don't hear about cops running a sting accidentally snaring another group of cops running a sting.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

By my math, looks like cutline should have said years instead of months.

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Scott Ritter, a guy not smart enough to realize that the ratio between cop and 15-year-old girl looking for sex online is 1,000,000,000:1.

Ok, you got me. Maybe there were WMDs in Iraq after all.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This is why you seduce the babysitter or the neighbor's daughter. Trolling online is a guaranteed arrest these days.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted