1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former UK great Melvin Turpin found dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Jul 8, 2010.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Just saw on Twitter that former Kentucky hoops great Melvin Turpin was found dead at his home, apparently of a suicide.

Still waiting for more details.

RIP to the guy they called The Dinner Bell, IIRC.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Suicide:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2010-07-08-3679715552_x.htm

3. mb

mb Active Member

"The Big Dipper"

Huh?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, you can see how someone would confuse Turpin with the real "Big Dipper," Wilt Chamberlain ...

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The LeBron coverage can do that to you.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well he did play for the Cavs. He may have been distraught of their demise.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Just Googled the 84 draft class. You always hear about Jordan and Olajuwon heading that group but damn, that was a hellaciously talented class across the board.

Just scanned through all 10 rounds - yes, that's right, 10 rounds - and the Bulls used their 10th round pick that year to select Carl Lewis. The Spurs drafted Danny Tarkanian in the 7th round.

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Wonder if he was tired of all the LeBron drama. RIP.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Very sad to hear this news about Mel Turpin. I knew him as a very sensitive kid who had talent but was never as good skill wise as many thought he could've been. When he was at UK, the Wildcats rolled. He didn't have a great pro career but from what I heard from those who were around him often, was a pretty good guy. RIP.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Dinner Bell Mel or Turp the Burp, if I remember correctly. At one point he signed a contract that had a maximum weight clause. He didn't even bother stepping on the scale, though, and just paid the fines all season long. The guy pretty much ate himself out of the NBA. It's always sad to hear of someone committing an apparent suicide. He was an definitely one of those interesting NBA characters from the 80s. I hope he rests in peace, and I hope heaven has enough food for him.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I hope you write your memoirs one day. With all the people you have known over the years, and the impact you had on some of their lives, I think it's a story that could rivet a reading audience.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

You meet people every day Ragu. Everyone has a story to tell. One of the reasons I got into this business is because I love telling stories. You never know, maybe one day I'll find a publisher interested enough in printing some of those tales.

Draft saved Draft deleted