1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Tampa Trib sports writer suing Media General

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Feb 10, 2010.

1. JennaLaine

JennaLaine Member

Notice how the St. Pete Times published the story (The Tribune's competition)

2. bdangelo

bdangelo Member

Why wouldn't they publish it? It's news. The Tampa Tribune published it as well, in print and on its Web site.

3. JennaLaine

JennaLaine Member

LOL I know...was just sayin...

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It doesn't matter if they know about it, they just need to make sure there is no legal precedent set. They'll probably try to get it thrown out and if that doesn't happen, they'll settle. It may not even get that far. I hope Brett gets every cent he can.

I applaud him for suing. I wish everyone had those kind of stones, but from what I've heard, his departure was not on very good terms. I'm glad he was able to land at FanHouse. He's always done really good work.

5. JennaLaine

JennaLaine Member

Brett's a damn good reporter...it's an unfortunate situation for all parties involved

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Can't imagine where they'd be able to hear about it ... you sayin' the industry has a message board where the topic might come up? :D

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

um, for obvious reasons i think he could find one or two of his colleagues who are out of work and would be glad to testify in a deposition that working over 40 was the custom and practice.

8. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Guys like you are the owner's and/or publisher's best friend.

You think it's a mark of passion or machismo that you're willing to work for free, and in reality they're laughing their asses off as they literally steal money from you.

9. Yeah, this is most likely. Only like 2 percent of civil lawsuits ever actually go to trial. Too much money and too much risk for both sides. Judges are actually evaluated poorly if too high a percentage of cases go to trial in their court.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And how many others go for it... or perhaps a class action suit?

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Actually I think it wouldn't be that hard to prove up. Just go back and pull every piece of content you produced that week and testify as to the time it took. Covered a game a 3 hour drive away? Well, there's 6 in drive time, 3 for the actual game, and 1.5 hours writing. There's a 13 hour day. It adds up pretty quick.

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

especially Brett's ....

fuck MG

Draft saved Draft deleted