1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former sports editor (& SJ.com poster) arrested in connection with bank robbery

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Nope, you're wrong here...really wrong. Again I won't get into details. But tragic events sometimes set these kinds of things in motion.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the bank robbers are actually surfers...

Utah, give me two...

3. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Re: Former sports editor (& SportsJournalists.com poster) arrested in connection with bank robb

UPDATE: Interesting article about the family that chased Mario Orlikoff through the streets
    http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/middlepeninsula/dp-05129sy0aug16,0,5613345.story (via The Obscure Store)

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re: Former sports editor (& SportsJournalists.com poster) arrested in connection with bank robb

I know of a case where one didn't even have a gun, but pretended to have one in order to rob a bank. Didn't matter. Convicted of armed robbery, sentenced to 8 years, got paroled in two.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think most of us would be 2-3 bad breaks away from drinking ourselves into a stupor every night and berating our loved ones, not 2-3 bad breaks away from committing a crime like bank robbery.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Hell, the first part is every night for me.

The second part? Not even on my screen.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed...

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Really smart to bring your kids along while you chase and confront someone who just robbed a bank. Dumbasses.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My first reax was Harry Caray stole Doc Brown's DeLorean.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Gotta also call BS journalism on the Daily Press story on the family chasing Orlikoff.

Your own former employee is involved, and the whole tone of the story is that it's some kinda joke.

1. What the family did was stupid.

2. Why no explanation at all about how he came to leave the Daily Press and when, why no comments from former friends and co-workers?

I assume that call came from highers up.

Nice freakin' job.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Actually, Doug, there are very few assumptions on this thread about why Mario isn't at the paper or what drove him to allegedly rob a bank.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Doug,

With all respect, I asked why he left the paper because it hits close to home. I figure we need some understanding as to how this might happen to someone from our little inner circle. That's all I was looking for. I didn't mean for it to become a thread about Mario's personal life.

And I'm sorry that some people are providing misinformation. I was sitting here wondering if a sports editor could actually wind up in such financial straits that he'd contemplate bank robbery. I just wanted to know whether that was the case.

Draft saved Draft deleted