1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former sports editor (& SJ.com poster) arrested in connection with bank robbery

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I know there was an attempt to be cute here, but for any of us who have worked with Mario in the past, there was nothing "refreshing" in this story. Nothing at all. Absolutely nothing.

2. Re: Former sports editor (& SportsJournalists.com poster) arrested in connection with bank robb

Out of curiosity, what is the issue we're all dodging here?

Drugs?

I don't know why no one will say it, it's not like that's worse than robbing a bank ... in fact, it would mitigate it somewhat ...

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I don't think people are dodging it. People don't seem to know it -- and I don't know if it's our business.

But if you wanna go that route, don't rule out mental illness.

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I see no mention of how/why he came to leave the newspaper.

5. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Re: Former sports editor (& SportsJournalists.com poster) arrested in connection with bank robb

This thread leaves more questions than answers (scroll down, too): http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1184894/

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Somehow, I just knew that he had been chucked out by the corporate bigwigs.

Sad news. I hope he comes out of it with only minor damage.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I kind of feel weird seeing Mario's dismissal being chronicled here the way it is.

I know this is a site by and for sports journalists, but something doesn't seem right.

Maybe I'm too sensitive to all of this just because. I'm not trying to preach. Just sharing my thoughts.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Agreed.

It's just that he's not a public figure. He's not a Joe Schmoe, either, he's a bank robber. I get that.

Maybe it hits me that way because there are people in this business whom I know personally who I could see flipping out rather easily and doing this.

Forgive the rambling, please.

9. Any of us would be sensitive if we were in your situation, Wicked. We're just interested because it's one of our own.

It's only natural for us to want more information.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I have a feeling someone would kick your ass if you started to wig out. ;)

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bill James?

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You ARE what your actions tell the world you are.

Sad But True.

Draft saved Draft deleted