1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former sports editor (& SJ.com poster) arrested in connection with bank robbery

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Aug 15, 2007.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

have met Mario. he's good people. i'm saddened by this.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Fair enough.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well, dammit, if they say you're going to taste the rainbow, you should be able to taste rainbow!

As for the robbery: I don't know this guy from a hole in the wall, but anyone who willingly goes into the York River must be pretty desperate.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, but we've reached new celebrity status...

5. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

I met Mario a couple of years ago when I interviewed in Newport News. He seemed like a great guy. I'm stunned.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I got a letter from an inmate once that said I needed to get a whole bunch of celebrities together at a local race track to have people try out for a new Dodge team and that Def Leppard needed to perform. It was REALLY weird.

Some day I may transcribe it all.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What was Sportschick in jail for?

8. Mario is a very good guy...one of the best designers I've ever been around. There's a lot more to the situation that I won't get into. But this definitely isn't Mario.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's just refreshing to see an arrest story involving a sportsjournalist that doesn't include the word "underage."

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I gave this some thought.

And no, I'm not one or two bad breaks away from robbing a bank.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Very sad story and, no, Shottie, you aren't but Mario apparently was and it is a shame.
    Odd mug shot, almost like he's smiling or resigned to his fate or something.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sadly, sometimes I wonder if I'm that close to doing something that extraordinarily desperate.

I'm not. But I can see why Mario may have been.

I hope he gets the help he needs. More importantly, I hope some of his former colleagues in this dog-eat-dog business come to his side and try to help him, if they haven't already.

Draft saved Draft deleted