1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former sports editor (& SJ.com poster) arrested in connection with bank robbery

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-04644sy0aug15,0,1150420.story?coll=hr_tab01_layout (via Romenesko)

Gloucester County's sheriff and several deputies helped pull a Newport News man out of the York River before arresting him in connection with a lunchtime bank robbery on Route 17.

Mario Anthony Orlikoff of Main Street in Newport News was arrested shortly after noon by Sheriff Robin P. Stanaway and several deputies, according to information released by the Gloucester County Sheriff's Office.

According to the news release, an "alert citizen" at the bank's drive-through window witnessed the robbery and followed the suspect after he fled the bank and drove off. The customer kept telling the 911 dispatcher information until deputies could reach the area. The man then abandoned his car and ran off. Deputies eventually spotted him swimming in the York River. Stanaway and members of his criminal investigations division helped the man ashore and arrested him, the statement said.

Investigators recovered what they believe was the note used in the robbery, a toy gun and clothing similar to that used in the robbery. The money was not found.

Orlikoff is a former Daily Press assistant sports editor.

2. Perry White

Re: Former sports editor arrested in connection with bank robbery

Romenesko also links to this...very strange... http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/members/7363/;sa=showPosts

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: Former sports editor arrested in connection with bank robbery

Yikes! We're accessories!

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Re: Former sports editor (& SportsJournalists.com poster) arrested in connection with bank robb

How do you know he's an SportsJournalists.com poster? I did a quick member search and didn't find him on there.

And if he doesn't post under his own name, you know you run the risk of outing him, which is BS.

5. Perry White

Re: Former sports editor (& SportsJournalists.com poster) arrested in connection with bank robb

The thing I linked to above; he clearly lists his name at the bottom of the post (via Romenesko): http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/members/7363/;sa=showPosts

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Who cares if he posts here? To me that doesn't affect the nature of the charges.

7. Perry White

You're right; I wouldn't have searched for him or anything had Romenesko not linked to his posts here.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

People here often confuse me, but why this bugs you so much is way beyond me.

They found a signed post of his and linked to it. It gives a little context as to who this guy is. It was interesting. OK?

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Michael Phelps this guy isn't. Anybody with law savvy know if the charges will be more severe because he used a toy gun? Or does the fact that its a toy diminish the significance of using it?

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It doesn't bug me that much, SF. I just don't see the relevance beyond the dude's posting on Van's death, at least not relevant enough for a thread title.

Just my two cents.

11. Creig Ewing

Creig Ewing Member

Damn. I worked with Mario years ago in Orlando.

Great guy.

World's a crazy place. I guess a lot of us are one or two bad breaks away from robbing a bank.

I hope he gets the help he needs.

12. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

The more interesting story in the Daily Press is here.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-now-quintillion.au15,0,7136621.story

An offbeat South Carolina prison inmate has filed a handwritten lawsuit seeking $63 quintillion from Michael Vick.

That's $63,000,000,000,000,000,000.

Or as Jonathan Lee Riches put it in his handwritten lawsuit, "$63,000,000,000 billion." The suit was filed in the U.S. District Court in Richmond on July 23.

In his most noteworthy suit, Riches submitted a 57-page list of defendants that included President Bush, Pope Benedict, actor Tony Danza, Fruit of the Loom, NASCAR, the Ming Dynasty, Skittles candy, the Philadelphia Eagles (2005 roster), the Doobie Brothers, the Congolese Army, the Magna Carta, "WKRP in Cincinnati," the King's Dominion amusement park in Virginia, the philosopher Plato, and the Liberty Bell.

Draft saved Draft deleted