1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Sonics owner suing to undo sale

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ArnoldBabar, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I could see the latter happening easily, provided Seattle voters hand out the requisite corporate welfare. Either way, the Grizz aren't long for Memphis.

I don't get the sense the NBA is ready for another round of expansion stateside, but they seem to be bent on expanding to Europe, which would be a logistical nightmare and in my opinion a mistake.

2. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

As an OKC native this is exciting news. Even though I'm a Celtics fan.....I guess that means I get to see the Celtics live. Yay!

It kind of sucks for the people of OKC though. Because a lot of people poured their hearts into cheering for the Hornets. That was taken away. I wonder how many people will be quick to jump on the Sonics bandwagon after supporting the Hornets so crazily for two years? I mean it's like the NBA is forcing the people to be bandwagon fans.

And growing up in Oklahoma the NBA team most people supported was the Mavericks. They're only 2 hours down I-35 and I know a lot of people went to Mavericks games. Cuban doesn't want to lose all that support probably.

But, OKC is growing. The people are tired of being thought of as living in backwoods redneck country. I had a friend move from San Diego in high school and she said she thought she was going to have to use the bathroom in an outhouse. I can't believe there are people ignorant enough to think like this, but whatever. I think the fans are dieing to show they're not like that. They're a real city and ready to come forward. Plus it is one of the largest cities in the country area-wise......so there'll be a lot of people to fill up attendance.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Kansas City, with the already-completed Sprint Center, would be my guess for the Grizz.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

scott wedman disagrees.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't forget Otis Birdsong.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reading the AP article on the owners approval of the Sonics' move, I found it pathetic that Stern was ripping Seattle for fighting to keep their lease valid for 2009-10. He was whining that the team might lose $30 million a season. What the heck does he expect them to do, just smile and be happy that their team is leaving. And if they are leaving, why should they give a shit if the team drops $30 million.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

What I found most pathetic/amusing was Clay Bennett trying to spin what he "really meant" in those damning e-mails. He was a man possessed to keep the team in Seattle... riiiiiiiiight.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Now, after a short hiatus, the question of "What is the worst/most boring road trip in the NBA?" has an answer once again.

The GM has got to be pissed. Imagine trying to lure free agents to Oklahoma City.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what he said.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Bob Johnson is blaming the businesses of Charlotte for not supporting the Bobcats.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2008/04/bobcats-owner-t.html

Uh, gee Bob ... being given a $265 million modern arena not enough support for you? ::) This man is an embarrassment to franchise ownership and the poster boy for greed.

Have at him, Starman.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The St. Louis Bobcats? Buffalo? Las Vegas? San Diego? Anaheim? Kansas City? Why not?

It's just turning into a floating crap game. Swoop into town, bleed it dry, then hightail it to the next burg of suckers dumb enough to roll out the welcome mat for you (and, essentially, GIVE you hundreds of millions of tax dollars).

It is amusing that the four franchises involved in the latest rounds of forced relocation/arena taxpayer extortion (Seattle, Charlotte, New Orleans, Memphis) are utterly tanking at the box office. (OKC will join them very swiftly if the Sonics move in with a bad team.) There may be some justice in the world.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seattle's team was gutted (ala Major League) to make it less likely the team would get a lot of support from politicians. See the Mariners and SAFECO after they made their first playoff appearance.
    Perhaps these struggling franchises should follow the lead of symphonies and ballets (and the KC-Omaha Kings) and play half their home games in one town, half in another.

Draft saved Draft deleted