1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former reporter leaves $1 million to Indiana University School of Journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I know what you're all thinking: "How could a reporter come up with $1 million?"

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100608/LOCAL/6080375/Former-reporter-leaves-1M-to-IU

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Creative expense accounts or rich relatives are my guesses.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The key word being "former".

No current reporter I know will ever have money to leave their kids, let alone a college.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

There WERE ways to parlay modest incomes into bigger bucks back then. I'm guessing that's what this guy did.
    My dad is living comfortably now 35 years after he retired as a manager of an auto parts store. He worked for that company for more than 40 years. He retired at age 59 and got a $25,000 lump sum pension. He was very conservative and made some small but wise investments that paid off handsomely.
    And the house he bought in 1962 for $28,000 is now worth at least $1.5 million.
    Sadly, those kinds of investments aren't available to us these days.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The bigger problem is that we lack the spending control necessary to save up to make those investments.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So did most people in 1962.

Draft saved Draft deleted