1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former NYC sportswriter Bob Drury about his career in newspapers and magazines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rockcrit88, Apr 28, 2009.

1. rockcrit88

rockcrit88 New Member

An interesting interview with Bob Drury about his journalism career and how he went to writing about sports for newspapers to writing about everything for glossy magazines such as Men's Journal and GQ:

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/73430-a-fans-notes-an-interview-with-journalist-bob-drury-1/

It's long but it has some great newspaper stories from the 70s and 80s.

sw

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Re: Former NYC sportswriter Bob Drury about his career in newspapers and magazin

This is a hilarious anecdote from the interview with Drury:

"When I got back to New York there was much back-slapping and whiskey toasts and an offer from Lisker to take over the Giants beat. I remember telling my girlfriend that this newspaper racket, most especially sportswriting, was like pissing up a rope and not getting wet. I did the Giants for a couple of years, with a lot of college basketball after the season. I loved it. Fighting with Ray Perkins. Playing hoop with Phil Simms. Getting smashed with Lawrence Taylor. I remember once there was a rumor that Dick Young, the columnist for the rival New York Daily News, was about to break a story about the Giants being riddled with reefer smokers. I was screwed.

Murdoch, and by extension Lisker, hated nothing more than to be beaten on a story by the Daily News. I never heard Lisker call it the Daily News. It was always the “scumbag News”. And beaten on a gossipy story about sex, drugs or alcohol by the scumbag News was even worse. But I was buying reefer from the starting free safety and/or the back-up halfback, and smoking after practice with about half the team. There was no way I could write the story, and Dick Young was going kneecap me. (Do you know what an IRA Sixpack is? Three in the knees and three in the elbows.)"

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I read this thread too quickly and thought gingerbread was talking about herself, 'buying reefer from the starting free safety.' Oops. :-X

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I thought the same thing. Perhaps some quotation marks would clarify that?

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Phew, it wasn't just me? I'm reading it and thinking, 'man, that girl has some tales to tell!'

6. gingerbread

Fixed.
    Drury has led quite the life.

7. Smasher_Sloan

I can't believe there hasn't been an NFL team in the last 35 years that hasn't been "riddled with reefer smokers." After all, these guys come from colleges.

8. gingerbread

Sure, but how often do the beat reporters get high with them after practice?

9. Smasher_Sloan

I understand that, but it was apparently a big deal that Dick Young was going to write a story about the team's tokers.

10. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

By then Young was Archie Bunker without Archie's redeeming qualities.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Kindred,

Stifle.

o-<

12. Smasher_Sloan

I saw Dick Young in his last years, and I learned from him. What I learned is don't become bitter and mean and resentful because the world has changed. Either adapt or stay home.

Draft saved Draft deleted