1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former NFL WR Johnnie Morton gets KTFO'd!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Game, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Big Game

Big Game Member

I just got home from tonight's K-1 "Dynamite!! USA" mixed martial arts event and Johnnie Morton had a rough time of it. At the end of his introduction video, Morton says "I'm Johnnie Morton and I'm an MMA fighter!"
    Well, it appears his MMA career is going to span approximately 38 seconds as he was knocked clean out by journeyman MMA fighter Bernard Ackah. I know Morton had been training for quite a while, but he appeared too anxious and tried to rush his opponent, who caught him clean on the jaw. Morton laid on the mat for about 10 minutes before being stretchered out. Looks like he got a reality check.
    Also, former pro wrestler and NCAA champion Brock Lesnar made his debut and won pretty convincingly. He was able to take his opponent down to the mat rather quickly, which wasn't surprising at all considering his amateur wrestling background, but he looked very comfortable throwing punches, which was a bit of a surprise. He's really raw, but definitely has all the tools to be a star in the sport.

2. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Johnnie Morton's MMA début. All 38 seconds of it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/Bernard%2BAckah/video/x25kub_bernardackahvsjohnniemorton

Also on the show former WWE star and NCAA champion Brock Lesnar made his MMA début against Korean Olympian Kim Min-soo.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/lesnar%2Bmma/video/x25l0g_k1-dynamite-usa-brock-lesnar-vs-min

Morton also refused to take his post fight drug test and has been indefinitely suspended by CSAC.

From...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-mma3jun03,1,5916916.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-sports

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Lesnar ... F5?

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Brock Lesnar has faced larger scares than MMA. One of them was a date.

(dooley, BYH, we're over here!)

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

The board has threatened to be shut down for less than this!!!!!

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, go do some briefs.

7. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

No surprise that Lesnar weighed about 30 lbs. lighter than his WWE days.

Hey, I give Johnny Morton credit -- he actually got in the ring. What he found out is that NFL 'tough guy' stuff does not follow the transitive principle: You actually have to have skills to compete in these events, not just lift weights and look good. It doesn't work like that.

To me, that's a good thing. This helps to legitimize the sport of MMA. You can't just step in the arena and be good if you're a good athlete. These guys are skilled. The reason why Lesnar can 'hang' is because he was an elite D-1 wrestler. Wrestling is a 'combat' sport; football is not.

So while I feel bad for Morton personally, this is good for the sport. A 'barrier to entry' has been more established. This isn't 'Toughman,' so you better have some skills.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Johnnie Morton was always a soft player. Ask the Lions. ;D

9. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Yes, 'she' was. [/Matt Millen]

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

perhaps Morton should have done the 'worm' to throw off the opponent.

11. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Is that a Spike Dudley reference. Yes!

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Scotty II Hotty reference. He got cut by WWE recently, so maybe he can switch to MMA.

Draft saved Draft deleted