1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former N.C. State players ejected from game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 19, 2012.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This, from the wire story on N.C. State's loss to FSU:

"And making the day even more miserable for the Wolfpack, ex-players Tom Gugliotta and Chris Corchiani (whose jersey numbers hang in the RBC Center's rafters) were ejected from behind the scorer's table by official Karl Hess.

Hess declined comment several times when approached after the game by a reporter for The Associated Press, while Corchiani tweeted that Hess "didn't like fact Googs [and] I told him he was having a bad day, inconsistent, [and] telling the truth."

Said Gottfried: "I don't have any idea what happened there."

Never heard of this happening. Has Karl Hess been officiating in the ACC long enough to have some history going back to Gugliotta and Corchiani playing?

Also, anyone notice that FSU has sort of quietly owned Duke, Carolina, Wake and N.C. State this season?

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Already being discussed on college basketball thread.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Saw the highlights on ESPN, pretty funny stuff. One of the guys tipped his hat to the crowd as he left. Sounds like a very rabbit-eared ref.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

So FSU takes the Dixie Classic? [/goingoldschool]

5. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Pat Buchanan probably supports Hess.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Clearly because he likes clean rest rooms, right? (. . . blue font) . . .

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So of the thousands of college basketball games played Saturday, I'm supposed to assume one incident in one game is already under discussion?

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Karl Hess - wow, I don't even have enough time. But this does not surprise me. During my brief run at VCU, he went after a player whose back was turned and was walking away.

Karl Hess is The Show. And don't you ever forget it.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And this is worthy of a breakout thread. Like Hondo, I don't read many of the "running" threads.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Definitely worthy of its own thread. I covered a hoops coach who I asked about a questionable call and he said, "If I say anything about Hess, I'm going to get fined..."

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Caulton Tudor, a long-time observer of ACC basketball, strikes a solid note:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/02/19/1868738/tudor-referees-out-of-line-ejections.html

I said most of what I wanted to say on the college basketball thread. In summary, Karl Hess really, really needs to get over himself.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Awesome. Should Mike revive "The game's not over yet, Dean!", too?

Draft saved Draft deleted