1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Malaysian PM: "There is No Such Thing As a Moderate Muslim"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 15, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am trying to keep this straight. Do you want to fix up your quotes? Who wrote what you quoted?

2. I guess that would be you. I consider myself part of anyone else.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Okay, you lost me.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

And to go back at what hondo said. What about the civilians that were killed in the first gulf war? Over half a million children died? Half a million. That was more then the deaths in Hiroshima. There was an interview on CBS in the mid 1990's between CBS reporter Lesley Stahl and Madeline Albright. A question was asked about this:

Stahl:We have heard that a HALF MILLION CHILDREN HAVE DIED. I mean, That's more children that died in HIROSHIMA. And -and you know, is the price worth it?"
    Albright:"I think this is very hard choice, BUT THAT PRICE - WE THINK THE PRICE IS WORTH IT."

You people go off about how the terrorists have killed innocent lives for no reason. And I agree with that. But what about the civilians that were killed in Iraq?

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hold on a minute.

A half a million children were NOT killed "in the first gulf war."

Now, there are reports that the SANCTIONS imposed on Iraq at the beginning of the war contributed to the deaths of many Iraqis.

But that's because Saddam simply chose to take care of the Baathists --- make sure they weren't affected by the sanctions --- and to hell with everybody else in his country.

While tragic, that's not exactly the same as America dropping a bomb on innocent civilians.

We punished Iraq because of its leader, and its leader basically made his civilians pay for his sins.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

And to go back on what was said about Palestine, Christians and Jews lived peacefully under Islamic rule before the 1950's.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Colbert and Carell have it all figured out:

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That half a million children stuff has been in such dispute that it's almost worthless to argue it. No one's been able to document it. It's right up there with the myth that twice as many women get abused on Super Bowl Sunday as other days.
    There's a big difference. The U.S. and Israel do everything its their power NOT to target civilians. Muslim extremists from Al Qaida, Hezbollah, Hamas, etc. target civilians -- including their own -- as a matter of course and strategy. It's the focal point of what they do.

And in response to those on this board who would criticize me because I'm not thrilled with the idea that Muslim extremists (and, I add for the millionth time, a small, tiny, miniscule minority of all Muslims) want to kill me, you and anyone who won't worship as they do, I would just say this: THEY DO WANT TO KILL US! What part of the videos from bin Laden and the rest of his ilk don't you understand. It's in their own words.

9. They also wanted US military presence out of Saudi Arabia, to tie up the US in endless wars in central Asia the way they did the Russians, and to wreck the US economy.
    Outside of my being dead, Fredo's pretty much filled out the wish list.

Draft saved Draft deleted