1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Malaysian PM: "There is No Such Thing As a Moderate Muslim"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 15, 2006.

1. So we're rounding this guy up and chucking him into Gitmo with Osama bin Laden and all those Pakistanis, including AQ Khan and the prime minister himself, who just gave al Qaeda a summer place in the mountains, right? And the Saudi royal family, of course.
    (crickets)
    Bueller?

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Name something we've done. And if you say arming Israel, I would counter that it's to help Israel's right to exist. And may I add that in 1948, Israel granted full citizenship to the Palestinians if they would simply live in peace with the Israelis. Israel was the country attacked by six Arab nations in response to their creation, not the other way around. Israel was attacked in 1967 and 1973, not the other way around.

So I await with baited breath: what did the U.S. do to Muslims/Arabs before 9-11?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's the dynamic duo of Hondo and Poindexter at it again.

Why don't we just give them their own "Muslim rant of the day" board and let them go at it 24/7?

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

As usual, you turn it into a personal attack and fail miserably to address the issue or answer a simple question.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not at all! The religion says you can kill with "reason," not "any reason." ::)

Jeez. There are people here who will argue over anything. This guy deserves no understanding. To paraphrase, he said, "There are no moderates in Islam. The religion says it's OK to strap on bombs and kill innocents—with a reason. The reason we do it? Israel (what more reason could you possibly need?). And America is just getting what it deserves."

Maybe there is such a thing as moderate Islam, maybe there isn't. But we seem to hear an awful lot from people of this guy's ilk. I'd think we would all agree that there is at least a segment of the world that is batshit and dangerous, and likely can't be reasoned with.

6. There are a couple hundred million Muslims, most of whom have little or nothing to do with these sentiments or this guy, who is, after all, one of OUR allies. There are moderate Muslims in Jordan, in the Emirates, and in this country. What this guy is saying is tantamount to someone declaring themselves the spokesman for "Earthlings." Geez.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FB, You're right.

The guy is also the former prime minister of a country in which Islam is the state religion and Islamic Law is practiced. You can choose to dismiss his comments as being somehow fringe. Or you can be extremely frightened that you hear way too much stuff similar to what he said, and way too often it is coming from people who have some stature.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Right again, Fenian. This guy is nothing more than some average joe picked off the street.

Dr. Mahathir Mohamad is an international icon in the Islamic world respected as a great modern Islamic leader who turned Malaysia from a rubber exporting country into a technological and regional economic powerhouse.

http://www.aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/review/people_full_story.asp?service_id=3066

9. I never maintained he wasn't famous, or that he was some "Joe off the street." t doesn't matter what job he used to have, or what title he may or may not have now. The fact is what he's saying is even mathematically absurd, as well as every other way. The fact that he used to be PM of Malaysia doesn't make what he's saying about several hundred million Muslims any more credible. He's not Joe fof the street, but he doesn't speak for the vast majority of them, either.
    There is nothing that I have ever posted that indicates I hate Jews. There's a vast amount of evidence on this board, however, that Junkie is a bigot who argues like a 12-year old.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here you go:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/51849

11. Oh, and just so we all remember.
    In the 1950's, the United States, through the CIA, overthrew the democratically elected Mossadegh government on behalf of the oil companies and installed the Shah, who so looted the country and tortured its people, that the Islamic revolution of 1979 overthrew him, grabbing our embassy in the process.
    And let's not forget our role in propping up Saddam Hussein, cynically playing Iran and Iraq off each other throughout an unbelievably bloody war, selling out the Kurds.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Junkie, you've been gone for a while. These anti-Islamic rants pop up every week or so, usually courtesy of Poindexter or Hondo.

Just out of curiosity, how do you extraploate Jew-hating from all this?

Draft saved Draft deleted