1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Lincoln Sportswriter Gets 15 Years

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Aug 28, 2022.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

His name has popped up on this board for winning several APSE awards.

Pretty shocking, but like the NFL, this profession is a cross-section of the American population and you get what you get.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Every profession is a cross section of the American population.

BurnsWhenIPee and lakefront like this.
  4. Goalmouth, you do have a point. But we writers are supposed to have a bit of distance. Observe, report, quote. And don't do something you wouldn't want your grandma to see on the front page of the Washington Post.

My observational innocence was broken in the mid-2000s when a colleague of mine was arrested on a morals charge from a setup right out of "To Catch A Predator." I had to peel back the onion and noticed that there was predatory behavior all over. About a dozen people in one of the sports I cover have been arrested/indicted for some sort of behavior related to child sex abuse, including one legendary coach who was ousted for trying to cover up for her assistant coach.

And this was a full decade before this thing called #MeToo.

Draft saved Draft deleted