1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former LAT sports writer Lonnie White dies

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OTD, Mar 30, 2014.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Lonnie covered a variety of pro and college sports for the Times. Before that, Lonnie played football for USC, setting a single-season record for kickoff return yardage. He made training camp for the Saints, but was injured.

Lonnie worked for the Times through 2008, when he was laid off in a staff reduction. After that, he was known for two things he would have rather not have been part of his experience. In 2010, he was featured in a Discovery Health Channel show on a rare, debilitating skin condition he had. In 2011, he admitted to taking money while playing at USC.

In any event, he was a good writer (also writing a book on the UCLA-USC rivalry) and a genuinely nice guy.

R.I.P.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

RIP. Sad to hear. Read him a lot over the years in the LAT.

Tough week for former LAT folks. Ruth Ryon, who created the must-read Hot Property column, died Friday.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2014/03/la_times_alums_ruth_ryon.php

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Engaged with him often when I was a scrub at the P-T long ago. Cool guy.

4. busch

busch Member

Sad news. Covered a lot of events with Lonnie back in the day. Not sure I ever saw him without a smile on his face. Just a really, really good person.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

LAT obit

http://lat.ms/1dLJptQ

Only 49

Draft saved Draft deleted