1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former LAT sports reporter: I took $5K in cash while playing for USC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 22, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Interesting confession from Lonnie White today...

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2011/06/lonnie_white_i_took_cash.php

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. Lonnie was part of my crew at FanHouse - though I only met him once.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Did you pay him in cash?

4. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

As invisible on the field as he was in print. At best, an eighth fiddle during his stint at the LAT.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is interesting (I think it would probably get more reads and reply posts on the JTO board, BTW).

In my opinion, the little snippet of what he wrote in the letter to SI way back when is more damning than his having taken cash from a booster. Given his confession of his personal experience, those words ring hollow and are/were an outright lie, which potentially brings into question anything he ever wrote, or will write, in his career.

As for why he's coming out with this now, I'd guess it's just to be able to give a first-person account of something. That format is popular with readers, and therefore, effective, on Web sites like the one for which White writes.

But, in this case, at this point, it would have been better not to come out with this. It's a dumb move.

Draft saved Draft deleted