1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former hockey coach Graham James gets two years for sexual abuse. Unreal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Mar 20, 2012.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm not a big believer in Starman justice but this is ridiculous. Graham James who sexually abused numerous hockey players while coaching in junior, was sentenced to two years for his assasult on Theo Fleury and Fleur's cousin Todd Holt

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/1148989--graham-james-to-be-sentenced-in-winnipeg-for-molesting-two-of-his-players

Mr. James's actions have had a significant long-term and devastating impact on the victims."

But the judge also pointed out that James expressed remorse, apologized to his victims and has experienced what she called "an extreme degree of humiliation" — factors that warranted a reduction in his sentence.

I hope he's in solitary because he won't last long otherwise.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Oh come on, he did say he was sorry. Right now Sandusky has got to be seeing if his case can be moved to Winnipeg. How James gets less for two victims than he did the FIRST time with one victim is beyond me. What are the chances he's out after a year? Also was he held or was he out on bail because if he was held in custody during the course of the trial be will be out quicker. Our legal system is a joke.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It seems you get a harsher punishment for making a racist comment than raping a kid in Canada

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Absolutely sickening, would love to hear the judges rationale on this one. Some crimes deserve manadatory minimums and this is one of them. I have to wonder if an elected judge like in the US would hand out such a soft sentance (and no I am not advocating for US justice standards here).

He automatically gets a one third reduction plus will get a one third reduction for good behaviour which means he spends 8 months in jail for this.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

These are one of those rare times when you just pray for the vigilantes to do what the government won't.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

A real sentence would include having to show his face. I have no problem with cameras not allowed in the courtroom - a bunch of outlets petitioned for it even though it's never allowed in Canada - but there's not one clear image of the bastard.

If I was a media outlet near the trial I'd do everything in my power to stalk that piece of shit until we got a clear look at him.

7. maberger

maberger Member

I hope he's NOT in solitary.

Draft saved Draft deleted